Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Ethics of a hidden cam in an non-sanctioned game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=302231)

EWillers 07-28-2005 01:03 AM

Ethics of a hidden cam in an non-sanctioned game

I live in Texas and the powers that be ensure that the long arm of the law shall not authorise any cash games. That being the case, all games are underground.

If one could mount a hidden video camera to oneself (or even simply audio) to record the action in a session-for the purpose of putting to memory all the action at that session (a la pokertracker)-would such an action be unethical?

Does the question hinge on disclosure or is that irrelevant?

I'm not concerned with whether such an action would be advisable re: getting caught or any technical issues. Just simply is it in accordance with proper play of the game? Or would it be akin to cheating?

CrashPat 07-28-2005 02:00 AM

Re: Ethics of a hidden cam in an non-sanctioned game

[ QUOTE ]
If one could mount a hidden video camera to oneself (or even simply audio) to record the action in a session-for the purpose of putting to memory all the action at that session (a la pokertracker)-would such an action be unethical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very unethical, do not do it, stop thinking about it, and it would not be that helpful anyway. Instead of cheating learn to play.

juanez 07-28-2005 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If one could mount a hidden video camera to oneself....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a recipe for a good asss-kicking in an underground room if you get caught.

EWillers 07-28-2005 02:51 AM

Yes. An "ass kicking" would likely be in order if one were caught.

I think there would be little discussion on that point.

I'm simply interested in people's thoughts on the prinicple at work. Is it substantively different than using an on-line hand database? Is it substantively different than taking a note pad to the game and writing down all the action in short hand?

TomBrooks 07-28-2005 02:59 AM

Based on what I know about Underground Games, which comes mainly from watching Rounders, I'd agree an ass-kicking might result from getting caught taking movie pictures.

IronDragon1 07-28-2005 03:04 AM

Your head is in the right place but once you think it through I'm sure you'll think better of this ill-concieved notion.

As to you addenda to this OP-I frankly will likely never need/feel the need to play in these types of underground games but I personally would simply try to keep notes in my head as opposed to do anything (record audio/video/take notes) which may give someone the wrong impression as to my intentions as though the chance of getting caught may be small-the price you may pay could be not worth it.

KramerTM 07-28-2005 12:37 PM

Yes, it is very different than using an online hand tracker. Not in its intention, obviously, but in how it will be perceived. Is walking into a playground with a baseball bat with the intention of protecting children any different than protecting a friend from a bully (excuse the poor analogy, but I hope you see my point)? Maybe not in intention, but certainly in perception.

The rule of thumb is... if you have to hide it, it shouldn't be there.

Conspir8or 07-28-2005 01:00 PM

I would simply rely on note taking. Bring 3 x 5s and make more-frequent-than-usual bathroom runs. I suspect notes at the table in an underground joint would arouse unwelcome notice.

Granted this may make it tough to record all of the action as you specify. How about devoting one session each to a single player you will play against regularly? Over four or five hours, much of it spent waiting for the next hand after folding, you should be able to put together a decent "book" on a person. Might take more time than getting an entire session recorded, but the longer term effort could give you very specific insights against your more frequent competitors.

I think this is more ethical than recording folks surreptitiously. For me it stems from what I would want to have happen to me. I wouldn't mind a person taking notes on my play -- hell, nice to have a student of the game in the room -- but I would be very upset to learn that I'd been video- or audiotaped.

CORed 07-28-2005 01:08 PM

I think recording people without their knowledge and consent is unethical.

Also, from the practical standpoint, if you get caught taping people engaged in an illegal activity, they will probably think you are a cop or an informer. The best thing that could happen is that you get thrown out of the game. The worst might involve cement overshoes.

smarterthanyoda 07-28-2005 02:34 PM

Besides the other good reasons that have been stated, there is the possibility that the police somehow get your tapes. Im sure you wouldn't rat out the other players, but what if your local PD decides to make some raids like the ones in NY? What if they found out about them some other way and got a warrant? You could inadvertantly give the DA his best evidence.