Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Chief Justice Rehnquist dies, RIP (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329230)

Broken Glass Can 09-03-2005 11:12 PM

Chief Justice Rehnquist dies, RIP

Talk about timing. He dies three days before the Roberts hearings are to start.

RIP to a great Chief Justice.

DVaut1 09-03-2005 11:20 PM

Re: Rehnquist dies, RIP

[ QUOTE ]
Talk about timing. He dies two days before the Roberts hearings are to start.

RIP to a great Chief Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes...

The hostile political climate will surely ratchet up a notch or two now...and I think that's an understatement.

DVaut1 09-03-2005 11:35 PM

The political implications of this are immense, given that the Bush administration is already going to have to juggle New Orleans and the Roberts nomination hearings; I assume the Bush administration might already have a short-list of possible nominees in place, as they've surely done much vetting of other candidates during the Roberts search. But I suspect the Bush administration (if only for communication/message simplicity) will likely try to delay the next nomination as long as possible.

Not only that, the question of who replaces Rehnquist as Chief Justice makes this discussion somewhat larger than the one surrounding the Roberts nomination. It will be interesting to see who Bush decides ought to replace Rehnquist as Chief Justice (perhaps Roberts, even).

KDawgCometh 09-03-2005 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only that, the question of who replaces Rhenquist as Chief Justice makes this discussion somewhat larger than the one surrounding the Roberts nomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume that the next longest serving justice would get the nod, maybe. I can't see Scalia, Thomas, or Ginsburg as the next chief justice, so it may very well go to stevens. THe supreme court is really gonna be shaken up over the next few years as Stevens and Ginsburg are not young people. Its gonna be very hard for Bush to push through a judge as conservative as Scalia or Thomas, so I really think that we are gonna see a justice along the lines of O'Connor, which might bring a problem in that the Court has been very indecisive in recent years, a good supreme court should lean one way and shold be more along the lines of 6-3 or 7-2

Broken Glass Can 09-03-2005 11:43 PM

Short List:

Luttig

(is that short enough for ya? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

DVaut1 09-03-2005 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would assume that the next longest serving justice would get the nod, maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this is how Bush will decide who should replace Rehnquist as Chief Justice.

cadillac1234 09-03-2005 11:44 PM

Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies, RIP

Bush should offer Sandra Day O'Connor the position (which has been rumoured to be a possibility if Rehnquist resigned), let the Senate fast track Roberts through and call it a draw.

I don't think Bush and our country can handle another controversy without having a major meltdown.

SheetWise 09-03-2005 11:54 PM

An interesting man.

3:1 Chief Justice will be Thomas.

SheetWise 09-03-2005 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...a good supreme court should lean one way and shold be more along the lines of 6-3 or 7-2

[/ QUOTE ]
A good Supreme Court should read Constitutional Law.

KDawgCometh 09-03-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...a good supreme court should lean one way and shold be more along the lines of 6-3 or 7-2

[/ QUOTE ]
A good Supreme Court should read Constitutional Law.

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda goes without saying. I just hope that Roe v Wade doesn't get overturn with the next two justices that get put in, and that 4th amendment rights start to take precedent again, cause needless to say that the patriot acts do spit in the face of the 4th(and 5th)