Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Interesting No Limit Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=133555)

David Sklansky 10-08-2004 07:53 AM

Interesting No Limit Question

I consider this fairly elementary but two good players got it wrong when I asked them, so let's see what you guys say. Just answer without explanation for the time being.

It is the beginning of the big tournament and everyone has about ten grand in front of them. When fourth street rolls around you have two opponents, both pretty good players and the cards on board are AKQT with two diamonds. The pot has $900 in it. The player to your right bets $200 with what you are almost sure is a straight. You have AJ of spades. You are almost sure that the guy behind you has a flush draw.

Do you:

A. Fold

B. Call

C. Raise the minimum (to $400)

D. Raise a moderate amount (say to about $700)

E. Raise a lot (say to $2000)

F. Move In

Martin Aigner 10-08-2004 08:22 AM

Re: Interesting No Limit Question

D (although I donīt like the answer, since Iīd raise more then just 700, but less then 2k, maybe something like 1,3k)

Donīt you see why? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Best regards

ClonexxSA 10-08-2004 08:23 AM

I dont believe this situation is worth risking all of your chips in case of a call by the person on the draw.

I would probably opt for raising to around $2000 to make it really expensive for the draw to see the river and possibly make his flush.

soah 10-08-2004 08:25 AM

I've edited this post several times already, each time getting more conservative. I could actually understand folding it here... though I'd be more likely to call and see how the flush draw reacts. If he puts in a big raise, then get out. Getting freerolled would be a disaster, especially given how tiny the pot is.

nopepper 10-08-2004 08:25 AM

Call. fold to a river diamond

Martin Aigner 10-08-2004 08:26 AM

Thought a bit more about it, and there might be some cases (depending on the first player) where Iīd strongly consider the minimum raise. Sure you see why this time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Martin Aigner

TheGrifter 10-08-2004 08:32 AM

C

BarronVangorToth 10-08-2004 08:32 AM

I think even the moderate raise to $700 would give people on the flush draw incentive to stay in. However, this being the case, you raising to $700 would then trap the flush draw in, and the person in front of you would (in theory) raise all in, you would call, and the flush draw would invariably drop, as his mythical pot odds would no longer be present.

Raising less is meaningless -- raising more chases him out before donating another $700.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

Squirrel 10-08-2004 08:33 AM

You said don't explain it so I won't.

I fold in a heartbeat.

BarronVangorToth 10-08-2004 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You said don't explain it so I won't.

I fold in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some joke to be made about a squirrel folding the nuts, but I won't make it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com