Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   7SFAP is too advanced for me. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399052)

OrianasDaad 12-15-2005 03:30 PM

7SFAP is too advanced for me.

I just got 7SFAP and I've been muddling through it. It should be mentioned that I've never played a hand of 7stud other than a few play-money hands to see what it was like, and in an effort to increase my repitoire from limit holdem, I picked this book up.

Here's what I've been thinking when reading through just the first two parts:

If player is A but not B, then you can C, and then on fourth street if his D < your E then you should consider F and mabye G again on a later street. H is right if player is B, and sometimes A, but not I.

I know, I know. It's an advanced text. I have seen this book recommended both in this forum and in the Books/Publications forum for players who have never played 7Stud before, though. HPFAP was an easy read compared to this.

I guess I need to step it down a notch before I tackle this book again, but I'll probably read the whole thing now anyway. Any recommendations, either online or in book form?

DeadMoneyOC 12-15-2005 03:35 PM

Re: 7SFAP is too advanced for me.

Buy Ashley Adams book. Most people on this forum dont really like it, but I enjoyed it. From what I understand its not very in depth but it will teach you the skills you need to beat low stakes games and its a easy read(not sklansky).

joewatch 12-15-2005 03:49 PM

I bought 7CSFAP but haven't cracked it yet. I am using Wilson's Turbo 7CS and it is great way to get a feel for the game. I think there is a holiday special going on now, too.

12-15-2005 04:10 PM

If you're playing up to $1/$2 with low antes, you can use Roy West's book. I found it a very easy read. Above these stakes, I suggest you persevere with 7cs4ap till it makes sense.

PoorLawyer 12-15-2005 04:38 PM

reread TOP and maybe skim through West in the bookstore for starting hand requirements.

dandy_don 12-15-2005 05:18 PM

I agree that Adams book is quite easier to read than 7CSFAP and I as well buck the trend on this forum and recommend it for the small stakes stud players. I have started 7CSFAP several times and quit about 1/2 way into it.

A year or so ago, I saw the Internet Forum do a book reading and discussion together as a forum and had been intending to bring this up earlier for 7CSFAP. Would that help? Say read chapter X thru Y by next Wednesday and we can collectively discuss what we've read?

joewatch 12-15-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A year or so ago, I saw the Internet Forum do a book reading and discussion together as a forum and had been intending to bring this up earlier for 7CSFAP. Would that help? Say read chapter X thru Y by next Wednesday and we can collectively discuss what we've read?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm too busy reading with Oprah's book club. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In all seriousness, I would be interested in being involved with this discussion. Anybody want to take the reins and organize it?

PoorLawyer 12-15-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Adams book is quite easier to read than 7CSFAP and I as well buck the trend on this forum and recommend it for the small stakes stud players. I have started 7CSFAP several times and quit about 1/2 way into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just considering a re-read.......

dandy_don 12-15-2005 05:32 PM

Reading 7CSFAP is like exercise; I'm not doing it even though I know it's good for me. Maybe treating it like a class assignment or homework will make me finish the entire book.

Maybe Andy can administer the final exam.

12-15-2005 05:33 PM

That's a great idea!