Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   What's the best setup to get the most out of my hard drives? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400501)

Jeff W 12-17-2005 09:55 PM

What\'s the best setup to get the most out of my hard drives?

Right now I have 2 80 GB 7200 RPM HDDs. I expect that I will receive a Raptor 10000 RPM 72 GB drive for X-mas. Pokertracker performance(importing and also PAHud accessing the Postgresql database of >1.5 million hands).

Currently I have windows and applications on 1 drive and my pokertracker databases on the other. When I get my new Raptor, how should I set up my drives for maximum performance?

Thanks.

SamJack 12-18-2005 12:43 AM

Re: What\'s the best setup to get the most out of my hard drives?

I would set the swap file (page file) to be on the fastest hard-drive.

SamJack

bort411 12-18-2005 02:08 AM

You're really not giving that much information. Depending on your memory and what applications you will be running, not to mention that your bottleneck might already be CPU speed, there are a lot of factors to consider.

Ideally you'd like to balance the load between the 3, with the raptor doing slightly more work.

I'd suggest using one of the 7200RPM drives for a big swap file and storage only, the other for windows and standard apps, and the raptor for poker/games. Again, more detail about your system would really be helpful.

Jeff W 12-18-2005 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest using one of the 7200RPM drives for a big swap file and storage only, the other for windows and standard apps, and the raptor for poker/games.

[/ QUOTE ]

By poker/games, are you including the postgresql databases? I believe these are the main performance drain. I rarely play games on this computer and even more rarely do I play modern games where performance is an issue.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, more detail about your system would really be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX PVT43GND Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400

2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

mikeyvegas 12-19-2005 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

XFX PVT43GND Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic:

How is the card working out for you. I'm about to upgrade my vid card and I hear this is pretty good value.

On Topic:

Raptor: Apps/os
Other drive: swap file
Other other drive: Poker DB

Let us know how that raptor works out, I've been thinking about investing in one(two) of those. I hear alot of people actually using those in a raid 0 config.

swiftrhett 12-19-2005 04:27 AM

off topic:
I just installed 2 xfx 6600gt cards in linux and windows xp, and they're great. They were tricky to configure though. PM me if you have problems. You have to downloade some crazy new forceware to get video working under xp, and there is a ton of stuff you have to do in linux.

On topic:
Why the flunk can't we just store PT databases in RAM? Isn't there some postgresql option to do this?

If you want fast HD times, has anyone tried RAID 0?

kyleb 12-19-2005 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the flunk can't we just store PT databases in RAM? Isn't there some postgresql option to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is doable, I would really like to know how.