Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Set versus a nightmare board - 99 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381927)

StellarWind 11-20-2005 03:16 AM

Set versus a nightmare board - 99

5/10 6-max (6-handed)

Hero is Button with 99.

UTG and Cutoff limp, Hero raises, BB and limpers call.

Flop is QJ9 3-suited. Hero bets and only Cutoff calls. Cutoff is probably LAG but beyond that we don't know him. Heads up to the turn for 5 BB.

Turn is an offsuit four. Hero bets and Cutoff calls. 7 BB to the river.

River is an off ten. Cutoff checks and Hero bets ...

Spicymoose 11-20-2005 03:21 AM

Re: Set versus a nightmare board - 99

I think it is fine, and I am paying off a raise. He could potentially have a K or an 8, but I think that given his play, it is not so likely that we don't have value in our bet. Remember, the T completed gutshot draws, so he would of had to be peeling with a gutshot (which he probably folds), or a gutshot with a pair (which he probably bets or raises somewhere). Furthermore, on the river, many opponents get scared of the checkraise not working, and just bet their straights.

As for the call if he check raises, I think too many people bluff with worse hands. Beware the "Schneids play" (or is that only a river raise, and not a check raise?).

scotty34 11-20-2005 03:22 AM

... and calls a raise.

nh

StellarWind 11-21-2005 12:35 AM

Results

Villain called with AJo no flush draw. MHIG.

11-21-2005 05:37 AM

Is this still a river bet if you only have a pair? I guess no because you don't get enough value from worse hands to compensate for the raises.

baronzeus 11-21-2005 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... and folds to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

krishanleong 11-21-2005 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call a raise to. A LAG can have 2 pair there enough to make the call profitable I think.

Krishan

car ramrod 11-21-2005 10:39 AM

I like the rive bet. Most villians will lead out here with a straight thinking you will check through on this scary board. Good value bet.

Spicymoose 11-21-2005 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving advice so that your bluff raises work more often?

Thats mean!

MAxx 11-21-2005 11:14 AM

Looks like a well played hand to me.Standard river bet/call. I could bet/fold if I was up against an extremely predictable and very passive player only..and they probably would of raised the turn with a flush and been too scared to raise the river with just a straight. Other than that type of opponent, this is not a bet folding hand IMO.