Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Look Mom/Dad I won 12K (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=309124)

AceHiStation 08-06-2005 01:05 PM

Look Mom/Dad I won 12K

So this thread has been done before plenty of times, but after my recent encounter I figured I'd post about mine anyways. It all started Thursday night. I had a strange itch to play in the Super Thursday tournament(played before, biggest cash was $1750 but I was 60%/40% with a roommate who also entered).

I deposited into PartyPoker as my account was empty since switching to Empire for rakeback. I registered for the tournament and next thing I know I'm at the final table and people are dropping like flies. I ended up busting out 3rd for almost $12k. To this point, my biggest profiting day was about $2K in $400NL ring games.

My parents have seen me watch WSOP on TV a couple times and have seen me reading HOH volume 1 and TPFAP on recent vacations we went on. I never read for pleasure purposes and thought this might help influence my parents that playing poker was OK. My parents also knew I went to Las Vegas and came out +300 on the tables even while running horribly(lost KK to AA twice, for $550 and $600 otherwise it would have been a bit more). My parents were fine with me going to Las Vegas but I could tell they had their concerns. I currently am 22 and living with my parents while finishing up a co-op for school-credit so I can graduate.

Up until this point my parents had no idea that I played poker online. I decided I would tell my parents of my recent win and after telling my mom she was bothered a little bit but more didn't believe the money was actually real. I kept telling her to not be close-minded and she started joking about it a little and I didn't feel horrible about her reactions.

"One down, one to go," I thought. When my dad got home from work I told him "Last night, I played a poker tournament that I paid $22 to qualify for, and out of 959 people I got 3rd and won about $12,000." My dad looked like he didn't even hear me. I waited what felt like 10 seconds and almost repeated myself when my dad said, "I'm not impressed." He then went on to lecture me for 15 minutes making me feel worthless. I explained that it wasn't typical gambling as you're not against the house and how it is a skill game more similar to chess(Which they loved that I played in highschool). He went on to say that chess is well-respected around the world and compared my getting $12k to winning the lottery. This was insulting as I played incredible poker to reach this level and he belittles me while having basically no knowledge of the game. He explains to me how his friends try to get him to play and how he has played a few times and has won almost every time. I explain that the purpose of poker is to make relatively small risks/bets and to make the correct decision on these bets over a long period of time, thus limiting your odds of losing. I tried everything I could to persuade him, even claiming it was just a hobby that happened to be profitable. He retorted by saying that I was wasting my time and that I should be investing this time towards building my future.

I've just won almost $12,000 and the culmination of my studies and hours and hours of work devoted to the game of poker has finally come in a solid $12,000 third-place finish. I played in two tournaments last night, and in both cases went against my gut and tilted out. Lost TT to AQs after calling an all-in preflop in early rounds. In the other tournament busted out overplaying a PP to AA(which I knew was AA but was too stubborn to admit it). Anyhow, I haven't played at all since then and almost feel guilty opening up a poker client.

I don't really know what I'm looking for as far as discussion here, but I guess any advice you could give me whatsoever. I have a BS in Information Technology(coming in a couple months after filling out paperwork) and have a positive future ahead of me. I love the game of poker and since joining twoplustwo and discussing it feel like I am trying to master this complex game as much as possible rather than try and win money. My father is a very well-off doctor, my brother is in law school, and my sister is a doctor as well. I have always considered myself the f***-up in my parents eyes. I had the worst grades in Highschool as I didn't really care. Nowadays I am the family computer guy and my parents enjoy that. I get phonecalls from every member of my family and my aunt's family on a weekly basis and thus have removed my f***-up label IMO. Anyways, I'd really appreciate some similar stories you've encouontered, advice, even ripping a few jokes into me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for dealing with the rant,
-Ace

GrannyMae 08-06-2005 01:09 PM

Re: Look Mom/Dad I won 12K

another meaningful win and they will be your biggest fans.
(trust me)

nice post, nice win

elcheapo 08-06-2005 01:20 PM

I was in the same boat for the most part. Though my first big score was 48k which may be different. Anyways, you got to show sustained winnings and maybe a 100k year to say that its not a hobby. I quit my job and started renting a two bedroom apartment for myself 6 months after making ten dollars an hour at a grocery store. When you start making more than your parents then a certain degree of understanding is in place. It is no longer a fluke.

AceHiStation 08-06-2005 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(trust me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did any of you experience this? I almost feel like my parents would be even more upset that I keep playing? I plan on living with my parents through November at which point I will be getting a full-time job outside of my hometown.

[ QUOTE ]
When you start making more than your parents then a certain degree of understanding is in place. It is no longer a fluke.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of me making more than my parents are slim-to-none. This is what makes it very difficult for me. My dad is a top-notch physician in a well-paying field. I don't want to mention specific numbers, but replecating this win weekly would be short of this feat.

Thanks for the comments so far,
-Ace

RollaJ 08-06-2005 01:26 PM

Your father is right, you are worthless, and should be ashamed of yourself.

Those sentiments aside, damn nice score, Congrats!

billyjex 08-06-2005 01:29 PM

Sorry your parents are so negative about your poker wins.

You're 22, I don't know what else to tell you other than move out. My parents have been real cool about the whole poker thing, so it's hard for me to relate (I'm 23 but live out of the house.)

Doc 08-06-2005 01:31 PM

A lot of us have been through this krap.

My dad used to grumble every time I would mention my poker playing, and my inlaws gave me the horror story of how my wife's granfather lost a house gambling.

My dad's grumbling finally died down when I was able to make a down payment on a house and pay the closing costs out of my poker money. My father in law shut up after he was helping me file my taxes and saw what I we paying taxes on as gambling income.

Sustained winning will quiet them down, especially if you don't try to do it as a full time job.

Doc

petvan 08-06-2005 01:34 PM

Doesn't Helmuth have about the same story?

Anyway, I'd say keep your options open, but also keep in mind that if you want to take a stab at pro poker, now is the time. When you have a mortage, Wife, kids, etc, it is pretty difficult to consider. Once you get on the treadmill of wage slavery, its tricky to get off ;-)

Why not move out? Demonstrate a little independance, and put some pressure on yourself to earn, be it via poker or otherwise. I'm 32, and the best thing I did to salvage a workable relationship with my parents (who had concerns over my ability to earn) was to get out from under them, and eliminate any semblence of financial dependence such that we were on a level playing field.

Enough of that though, great win and lets see some more!

P

Dave D 08-06-2005 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(trust me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did any of you experience this? I almost feel like my parents would be even more upset that I keep playing? I plan on living with my parents through November at which point I will be getting a full-time job outside of my hometown.

[ QUOTE ]
When you start making more than your parents then a certain degree of understanding is in place. It is no longer a fluke.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of me making more than my parents are slim-to-none. This is what makes it very difficult for me. My dad is a top-notch physician in a well-paying field. I don't want to mention specific numbers, but replecating this win weekly would be short of this feat.

Thanks for the comments so far,
-Ace

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't quit school, and don't let poker get in the way of your serious career plans. Treat it as a hobby and you'll be fine. Just don't tell the parents about it anymore, but don't ask for money.

KaneKungFu123 08-06-2005 02:12 PM

are you anthony michael hall from the breakfast club?