Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Raising a gutshot for a free card? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403823)

Fryguy 12-23-2005 01:22 AM

Raising a gutshot for a free card?

No specifical read on the opponent yet, just recently sat down. I call preflop because of the dead money in the pot, and I'm in position.

My thinking by raising for a freecard is that I'm paying 2 small bets to see 2 cards instead of 1.5 big bets to see 2 cards.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

moose47 12-23-2005 01:30 AM

Re: Raising a gutshot for a free card?

Even with all the dead money in the pot I would prefer a hand that isn't so easily dominated to go after it with. I'd fold pre-flop.

On the flop I would be more inclined to raise if it was something like J87 where I had some overcards to go with the gutshot. As it is, I would just call. Plus the fact that UTG led out and not the preflop raiser makes it more likely that he has a big hand and wont give you the free card anyway. Getting 3-bet on this flop would suck pretty badly also.

12-23-2005 01:38 AM

The pot is big, so I like it. Reads would help a lot. Betting into the PFRer signifies a certain amount of strength.

When it's checked to you on the turn, I'm inclined to think UTG more likely has a draw. In this case, you are getting better than 4:1 on bluffing both streets; which I'm inclined to think is worth it.

I'll wait for other's view on this one.

DCWildcat 12-23-2005 02:37 AM

Ack...I think this is close, but the call preflop definately isn't. Fold. Watch out for those.

12-23-2005 02:38 AM

I like

Aaron W. 12-23-2005 03:13 AM

The preflop coldcall is very bad. Your hand does not do well against a raise, even with the dead money in the pot (if you had posted as well, it would be different). 3-betting might be superior to coldcalling if you suspect villain is raising light because of the posters.

I wouldn't have tried for the free card play here, but I don't think it was awful. You're getting odds to chase your gutshot (barely -- because you want to discount the flush out somewhat and discount all your outs a tiny bit as well because of the flush redraw). I don't like the free card play with a weak draw because when you're wrong (villain 3-bets or donks the turn), you lose a substantially larger amount than if you had a stronger draw (because you spent extra money and still didn't get to the river).