Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Are kids -EV? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403538)

[censored] 12-22-2005 04:32 PM

Re: Are kids -EV?

It's been a positive experience for me, as far as I can tell of course. Depends on the person perhaps

poboy 12-22-2005 04:36 PM

Depends on how you define value. From a financial and health perspective I'd say they are obviously -EV. From a happiness in life perspective I'd say for some they are very much +EV and for others less so. I'm not so sure about marriage though. True there is additional income but you also need twice as much of everything, not to mention the crap you don't need that she buys anyways. I guess it comes down to how you define "value".

Los Feliz Slim 12-22-2005 04:36 PM

You know those days when it's nearly impossible to find any meaning or purpose anywhere? Having a kid helps with that. A lot.

vexvelour 12-22-2005 04:41 PM

I want to have a kid, but I want to make sure I'm out of school before I do. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

lu_hawk 12-22-2005 04:41 PM

very positive from an evolutionary standpoint.

henrikrh 12-22-2005 05:08 PM

Having kids cannot be given an expected value ebcause teh variables are huge and far too numerous. Could go big either way, but it is a high risk proposition and not to be made lightly.

gobboboy 12-22-2005 05:11 PM

Not -EV. Just VERY high variance.

Bluffoon 12-22-2005 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that, while marriage is supposed to be good for you, both healthwise and financially, having kids is not.

So, that leaves me to wonder:

Is having kids a -EV activity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh for me it's been the exact opposite. Marriage wasn't very good for me but my kid is great for me. Get anything you want to get done for you first because after you have kids their needs (should?... well they do anyway) take priority over yours.

I vote +EV

LittleOldLady 12-22-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that, while marriage is supposed to be good for you, both healthwise and financially, having kids is not.

So, that leaves me to wonder:

Is having kids a -EV activity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh for me it's been the exact opposite. Marriage wasn't very good for me but my kid is great for me. Get anything you want to get done for you first because after you have kids their needs (should?... well they do anyway) take priority over yours.

I vote +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My marriage was a disaster, and I am happy to be free of it. My kid, OTOH, is a world class joy, and having and raising him was the best thing I ever did. He was (very) expensive, but I got my money's worth. That said, I have known other kids who have given their parents nothing but grief, but in many (most?) cases less than optimal parenting had something to do with that.

BigBaitsim (milo) 12-22-2005 09:53 PM

+EV.

Exceptionally high variance.