Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Probability (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   brain teaser someone gave me... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305052)

curtains 08-01-2005 06:46 AM

brain teaser someone gave me...

You are playing headsup holdem and are allin preflop for 1000 chips. Your opponent is also very generous and allows to choose his exact two hole cards and the 3 cards on the flop. You don't get to see your own cards before doing this. What hand and flop should you choose?

Forgive me if this is a well known problem of some sort.

Jazza 08-01-2005 06:57 AM

Re: brain teaser someone gave me...

i'm just gonna guess:

his cards: 32 neither diamonds
flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

curtains 08-01-2005 07:15 AM

Note that I don't know the answer yet but will in a day or two...

sekrah 08-01-2005 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm just gonna guess:

flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Best possible hand he can make is runners for trip 2s, trip 3s.

Under the other post a split for a straight or flush is possible.

astarck 08-01-2005 07:44 AM

I'm too tired to put much thought into this.

But what about something along the lines of:

Flop:
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He holds:
2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The best he can do is hit a 2 or 3 or play the board.

sekrah 08-01-2005 07:50 AM

I think his odds are pretty damn good in this one.. There are tons of other possible flops without leaving him drawing 6 outs to a full house.

Unpaired, rainbow board, K-10-7 with a 2-3. Can't imagine anything worse.

Jazza 08-01-2005 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm just gonna guess:

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason i chose this, is your opponenet will always have at least 4 outs for a pair, but i think if he hits a non-diamond 2 or 3 my board gives you the best chance to make a pair or better

pzhon 08-01-2005 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop:
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He holds:
2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
PokerStove says he has an equity of 25.4302%. It's too easy for 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to tie when the board is a full house, and if the turn gives 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a pair, hands that are behind do not have many outs.

pzhon 08-01-2005 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good guess. PokerStove says his equity is 11.0735%, about .9% lower than with a 987 board.

pzhon 08-01-2005 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd go with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
15.0662%.