Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   weakest opponents hardest to win in? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296543)

alphatmw 07-20-2005 02:08 AM

weakest opponents hardest to win in?

this isn't the typical donkeys call me with j2 and my aces lose! post

cause it seems to me that a SNG with a bunch of weak/tight opponents, even a strong player cannot hope to place that often. when you get to level 6 with 7 players still at the table, its gonna be timing and cards that determine the winner.

i started playing at bodog cause i heard the play there was pretty easy.. and its obvious most of the people aren't that great. i usually don't see a raise or bet of more than 3x big blind. lots of min raises and min bets. but this means that when you see a AK vs. KQ on a K high board, the KQ might only lose 10% of his stack because of the passive play.

is my thinking flawed in any way here?

citanul 07-20-2005 02:16 AM

Re: weakest opponents hardest to win in?

[ QUOTE ]
is my thinking flawed in any way here?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. your thinking is flawed in almost every way.

a few things:

1) if your opponents are min betting, that doesn't mean you have to too. so if you get AK v KQ, there' no reason that you shouldn't get most of someone's chips if they're just calling a lot.

2) if your opponents are all too tight and hanging around by not playing hard enough, or crazy enough, there are other tactics to use to beat them. ie, if everyone plays "proper tight sng strategy" you have to think outside that box to beat them. but they are definitely beatable.

citanul

alphatmw 07-20-2005 02:59 AM

obviously i didn't say i was min betting too. but against calling stations you need real hands to bet with right? if none of them come, you can't build your stack very well. taking down small pots doesn't really mean as much when its level 6 and 7 people are still there.

tell me how to "think outside the box" dealing with a SNG. the only strategy that comes to mind is to build your stack. if people are busting out slowly, then the average chip stack only goes up so much while the blinds may already be huge.

btw i didn't say tight sngs were unbeatable, i just said they were the hardest to win in. so if i said "the tighter/more passive the players in an SNG, the harder it is to get ITM" how would you disagree?

viennagreen 07-20-2005 03:22 AM

common sense indicates that it will be most difficult to finish in the money when you are playing the best opponents.

are tight/passive players the best players?

lastchance 07-20-2005 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
common sense indicates that it will be most difficult to finish in the money when you are playing the best opponents.

are tight/passive players the best players?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, because they're getting blinded off L4-L6, and you're picking up t150, t225, t300, not only to accumulate chips, but to survive and they're not.

The Yugoslavian 07-20-2005 03:30 AM

How is this post not at least locked?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Yugoslav

JayKon 07-20-2005 09:53 AM

If you go back to the FAQ and look at the achiveable ITM%, you'll see your at least partially correct and that it doesn't matter. The best players lose more SnG's than they win. However, they win money all the same.

If you're playing $10 SnG's and you only win 1 in 4, but you take 1st every time you win, for every $40 you put in, you'll get $50 back for a $10 profit (or $6 profit when juice is included).

Also, something about the calling stations. Once you whomp them on a big pot, they seem to tighten up their calling for a bit, or just give up and just push - either way, they cease to play any poker. Figure out which (and it isn't that hard to do) and you'll win enough to make money.