Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   IQ Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299470)

PairTheBoard 07-24-2005 03:06 PM

IQ Question

Given all the time in the world to think about this IQ Question it still stumped me. Please put your answers in white. More importantly, please post comments if you can't get it so I'll feel better about being so dumb.

What letter comes next:
O T T F F S S E N

PairTheBoard

KJL 07-24-2005 03:13 PM

Re: IQ Question

<font color="white"> T E T
they are the first letters of the numbers. One two three four five six seven eight nine </font>

evil_twin 07-24-2005 03:14 PM

<font color="white"> 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So the next letter is T</font>

PairTheBoard 07-24-2005 03:18 PM

No fair if you've seen it before.

PairTheBoard

KJL 07-24-2005 03:23 PM

I haven't.

evil_twin 07-24-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't either. Although I have now noticed that it's trivial to google a solution, which probably nullifies the value of the challenge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PairTheBoard 07-24-2005 03:59 PM

Well, pooh pooh pee doo.

Just another indicator of what a dim witted genius I am. You fellows on the other hand must be of the fully witted type.

PairTheBoard

Analyst 07-24-2005 04:39 PM

<font color="white"> T for "ten" comes next </font><font color="black"> </font>

A lot of these questions are similar - if you've seen one, others are easy. First time can be a challenge, though.

SheetWise 07-24-2005 06:27 PM

<font color="white">
T

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nione
(T)en
</font>

David Sklansky 07-24-2005 09:34 PM

I don't consider this an IQ question. The main reason I say that is because the ability to get it isn't highly correlated with IQ. Some 90 IQS will get it while many 140s won't.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 07-24-2005 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't consider this an IQ question. The main reason I say that is because the ability to get it isn't highly correlated with IQ. Some 90 IQS will get it while many 140s won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you couldnt get it then?

Ringo 07-24-2005 09:52 PM

First time I saw that one, I stumbled for ages too. Another one of those "duh" ones I struggled was to find the missing word here:

jelly(X)finger

where X can be used as a suffix for jelly, and a prefix for finger. It's not in the same league, though.. I think I really am retarded for taking over 10 minutes to solve that.

Alex/Mugaaz 07-24-2005 11:04 PM

This is more of a riddle than a question to gauge intelligence.

jason_t 07-24-2005 11:52 PM

answer: <font color="white">T</font>

PairTheBoard 07-25-2005 01:11 AM

I can't find the webpage but my question as well as Ringo's fish X finger problem were on the Online IQ test I took there a while back. You could take all the time you wanted on the problems. I missed them both. They also had an Ultra Test on the site that was supposed to better measure the population of IQ's over 150. Supposedly even the most brilliant phd's in mathematics and such could only score about 50% on it. It had a lot of these complex multicolored patterned puzzles on it. I quickly gave up trying to do any of them.

Anybody know the website I'm talking about?

PairTheBoard

PairTheBoard 07-25-2005 02:17 AM

Here is where I got this question.

International High IQ Society

It was on their "Ultimate IQ Test". The fish X finger problem Ringo gave was also on that test. The test I found impossible was their "Test for Exceptional Intelligence".

PairTheBoard

Stuey 07-25-2005 03:44 AM

I can find a pattern in anything or maybe I don't understand what a pattern means. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color="white"> OTTFFSSE=NVVGGUUD </font>

I came up with that after 10 seconds thought I was right till I read the replies. I have to live in this head!

Alex/Mugaaz 07-25-2005 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It was on their "Ultimate IQ Test". The fish X finger problem Ringo gave was also on that test. The test I found impossible was their "Test for Exceptional Intelligence".

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking through the first couple here. I spent some time on #2, and I think I could solve this one. #1 I'm unsure how to even start (may be lack of any math background). The rest look pretty freaking hard. How long do you have to take this?

fluorescenthippo 07-25-2005 07:33 AM

yes this is definately not an IQ question. this is just a question

Hamish McBagpipe 07-25-2005 10:51 AM

This was a goddamn spiderman comic book about 20 years ago. I still remember it. Someone got killed and managed to scrawl those letters in his own blood. Spiderman eventually figured out that the culprit was The Count.

PairTheBoard 07-25-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking through the first couple here. I spent some time on #2, and I think I could solve this one. #1 I'm unsure how to even start (may be lack of any math background). The rest look pretty freaking hard. How long do you have to take this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you can take as long as you want. I spent about a week on it to get a score matching my scores on tests in the past.

Are you looking at the "Ultimate IQ Test" or the "Test for Exceptional Intelligence". I wouldn't waste my time on the Exceptional Intelligence one. I thought the Ultimate Test was pretty hard even with unlimited time. I concluded that a couple on the Ultimate test were virtually impossible for me regardless of time spent on them. It looked to me like the Exceptional Test consisted almost entirely of problems of that type.

PairTheBoard