Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What if you fell 30 ft? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361005)

WackityWhiz 10-19-2005 04:05 PM

What if you fell 30 ft?

If you were ever to fall out of the third story of a building, how would you want to land in order to cause the least injury to yourself?

I don't really know why, but I think about this question from time to time and I was wondering what you guys thought. If I had my choice, I would want to land on my side with my arms protecting my head from slamming directly into the ground.

how about you? (let's say you are falling onto grass)

FouTight 10-19-2005 04:07 PM

Re: What if you fell 30 ft?

feet first

I figure, if I'm falling out of this height, I must really be running from something, may as well hit the ground running.

jaydub 10-19-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were ever to fall out of the third story of a building, how would you want to land in order to cause the least injury to yourself?

I don't really know why, but I think about this question from time to time and I was wondering what you guys thought. If I had my choice, I would want to land on my side with my arms protecting my head from slamming directly into the ground.

how about you? (let's say you are falling onto grass)

[/ QUOTE ]

On your feet? Broken legs are better than punctured organs.

peachy 10-19-2005 04:07 PM

my back...even though thats not the best way...id be afraid of landing on my side and sending my ribs into some organ i need

Freakin 10-19-2005 04:07 PM

I think I'd probably want to land flat on my back, with my arms crossed behind my head to protect my head and neck. On your side sounds like it would cause serious back/neck injury, and I'm sure it would at least break your collarbone.

swede123 10-19-2005 04:09 PM

Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

asofel 10-19-2005 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i would think....that a well timed ballup/roll might be able to deflect some of the force...but who knows....blarg? jake?

Shajen 10-19-2005 04:11 PM

definitely on my head.

Seriously, though, how could it be anything other than feet first?

MonkeeMan 10-19-2005 04:12 PM

"In a good tight body position."

That's what they told us in jump school. Basically on your feet, but with every joint slightly bent, and then do a controlled collapse while rolling to the side.

Either that or head first.

Richard Tanner 10-19-2005 04:13 PM

Exactly, the body is one big shock absorber, land with your limps slightly bend to absorb the force and you could wake away from it.

Cody