Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Possibly dumb alcohol question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382412)

miajag81 11-21-2005 01:24 AM

Possibly dumb alcohol question

Anyone ever notice that when you go to bed after drinking a lot, even if you brush your teeth/use mouthwash before going to sleep, you wake up with a terrible stale alcohol taste in your mouth? Why is this? Is it because the alcohol in your bloodstream somehow filters through the mucous membranes in your mouth and causes the taste? I've wondered about this for a while.

J-Lo 11-21-2005 01:26 AM

Re: Possibly dumb alcohol question

it's from your stomach... when u digest it, it releases gas which leaves your mouth tasting like that.... I THINK

edfurlong 11-21-2005 01:35 AM

Are you waking up in a pool of vomit?

miajag81 11-21-2005 01:39 AM

No, I'm not talking about being drunk to the point of vomiting. I'm saying if I have, say, 5 or 6 glasses of wine in a night, I'll brush my teeth before going to bed and my mouth will feel minty fresh. But when I wake up in the morning or in the middle of the night it tastes like I never brushed my teeth.

newhizzle 11-21-2005 01:40 AM

the same thing happens when you smoke cigarrettes

miajag81 11-21-2005 01:41 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that as well, though I rarely smoke. Maybe stuff like alcohol and tobacco permeates your mouth so much that it is temporarily covered up by the brushing/mouthwash but re-emerges later?

GoblinMason (Craig) 11-21-2005 01:42 AM

I just figured it's b/c I usually forgot to brush when drinking, but last time I made sure to and still noticed this...it's annoying.

Shoe 11-21-2005 01:51 AM

That also happens if you just go to bed without drinking as well. However, I agree drinking a lot makes it worse. It is probably the gases coming up from your stomach or something.

Blarg 11-21-2005 01:54 AM

I think gasses can still come up from your stomach. I've sometimes eaten so much garlic or kim chee that after a burp or two I literally MUST brush my teeth again, because all the spit in my entire mouth funks up. Garlic and kim chee stink can come out in your sweat, too, so I'm wouldn't be surprised if it comes out elsewhere. There's always stories of girls saying they can tell what a dude ate by the taste of his spunk. And you can tell what an animal eats by the taste of its flesh. So maybe your spit is just another way that shows it.

emonrad87 11-21-2005 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's always stories of girls saying they can tell what a dude ate by the taste of his spunk

[/ QUOTE ]

This I know for sure is BS. Dr. Drew (from Love Line) regularly speaks against this urban legend.