Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Technique for running on ice (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398055)

bennyk 12-14-2005 01:47 AM

Technique for running on ice

What is the optimal technique for walking fast/running on ice? I tend to stiffen my legs a fair amount.

I think this is because with stiffer legs, you can't rapidly apply force in a different direction, so you can't break free as easily. This method also "feels" much more stable, I guess because your brain/inner ear is more balanced.

Anyone from, like, Montana care to settle this?

Emmitt2222 12-14-2005 01:55 AM

Re: Technique for running on ice

Intoxicated. You don't care if you fall and when you do it doesnt hurt as much.

bennyk 12-14-2005 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Intoxicated. You don't care if you fall and when you do it doesnt hurt as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This didn't occur to me, though I do have a lot of experience with it.

theweatherman 12-14-2005 01:58 AM

I'm from upstate NY and try to avoid walking on ice whenever possible. However when i do i like to go with a sort of skating/walking method.

I dont ice fish or anything so I rarely go out on large bodies of ice without skates. When I do its for challanges of who can walk down the stream the longest without falling through the ice. This is most fun in March/April when the loser only makes it about 50 meters or so.

man 12-14-2005 01:59 AM

I've gone to school in syracuse, NY for three years, and go running in the cold. not so much on frozen lakes if that's what you mean, just frozen sidewalks. I recommend keepin your torso over your feet as much as possible. also remember that surface area does not change the coefficient of friction, just try to get a good angle and maintain balance.

theweatherman 12-14-2005 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Intoxicated. You don't care if you fall and when you do you dont realize you broke your wrist until the morning .

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg 12-14-2005 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gone to school in syracuse, NY for three years, and go running in the cold. not so much on frozen lakes if that's what you mean, just frozen sidewalks. I recommend keepin your torso over your feet as much as possible. also remember that surface area does not change the coefficient of friction, just try to get a good angle and maintain balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done.

bennyk 12-14-2005 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend keepin your torso over your feet as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an important point that I didn't recognize, though I suspect I'm doing it innately, to a certain extent.

man 12-14-2005 02:13 AM

also, if you're walking/running downhill, try to lean forward slightly. this way your feet are less likely to swing out from under you.

the idea of thinking this deeply about walking on ice is funny to me somehow.

PoBoy321 12-14-2005 02:13 AM

In Georgetown, where I go to school, people NEVER shovel their sidewalks, so they're always covered in ice. Basically, i got with a kind of slip-n-slide method, where I don't really walk so much as slide across the ice.