Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Blind steal.. how'd I do? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399831)

AlmightyJay 12-16-2005 05:59 PM

Blind steal.. how\'d I do?

No solid reads. I'm trying to get better at blind steal situations (though I realize this isn't fully a steal). How does this look?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

12-16-2005 06:37 PM

Re: Blind steal.. how\'d I do?

Why did you cap preflop?

I like to take the free card on the turn because I think you are behind most of the time.

12-16-2005 06:40 PM

Shant posted about adding steal info to your HUD.

It takes a while for the stats to become meaningful, but it helps soooo much in these situations.

I'm not sure about the preflop cap without a read. A lot of players mean business with a 3bet. I looks like it scared him off and got you a "cheap" draw.

The rest of the hand I play the same.

McGahee 12-16-2005 06:46 PM

Well you're begging somebody to ask, "would you call a river bet"? I really don't want to be faced with that decision so I bet the turn. I'd be more inclined to check AK because it has more showdown value and you have more outs if you're behind.

ajm36 12-16-2005 06:55 PM

I think capping here is spewage. But along the lines of spewage, I will often bet this turn--I think your fold equity is greater than 25% here--just my opinion. Flop is fine.

12-16-2005 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to get better at blind steal situations (though I realize this isn't fully a steal). How does this look?

[/ QUOTE ]
why (how) isn't this a blind steal situation?

I don't like the cap preflop. I think a better line would be to call preflop, raise the flop, then decide if you can take down the pot with a bet on the turn.

AlmightyJay 12-16-2005 06:56 PM

Hmm see I was under the impression that generally, if we're trying to steal and we get 3-bet by an opponent who might be restealing, it's best to cap to maintain control of the hand. Guess I'm misunderstanding/misapplying the concept?

12-16-2005 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well you're begging somebody to ask, "would you call a river bet"? I really don't want to be faced with that decision so I bet the turn. I'd be more inclined to check AK because it has more showdown value and you have more outs if you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually with AK (with or without the flush draw) I would be more inclined to bet the turn because it's more likely that I have the best hand so I don't want to give a free card. Or do I think about this the wrong way?

Btw, I virtually never call a river bet without a pair.

12-16-2005 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shant posted about adding steal info to your HUD.

It takes a while for the stats to become meaningful, but it helps soooo much in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is knowing his steal info going to help us sooooo much here? He says he doesn't have a solid read on SB, and believe it or not, not all people use HUD.

12-16-2005 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm see I was under the impression that generally, if we're trying to steal and we get 3-bet by an opponent who might be restealing, it's best to cap to maintain control of the hand. Guess I'm misunderstanding/misapplying the concept?

[/ QUOTE ]
where is the proof that SB isn't betting a strong hand?