Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   standard situaton poll, without a poll. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=255253)

citanul 05-19-2005 12:44 PM

standard situaton poll, without a poll.

so here's something that happens all the time:

9 handed, 50/100

3 or 4 folds to you (if it changes your decision, write about both) you have one of 88, 99, or TT, if you want to write about them as different, do so. all players have even stacks. (say those stacks are 1100.)

your action?

for a variation, say you have 1100, as do most players, though the people who folded already have randomish stacks to make the numbers behind you possible. behind you there are 2 guys with 400ish and two guys with 1800ish. your action?

citanul

adanthar 05-19-2005 12:57 PM

Re: standard situaton poll, without a poll.

Probably push all 3. I might make a standard raise if the table texture looks like I'll get away with it.

If there's some short stacked donkey itching to push behind me I'm definitely standard raising, hopefully to 1/2 his stack minus 1 chip.

beeyjay 05-19-2005 01:02 PM

I think this would have been a push for me before but lately I've been folding a lot more in this situation. I suppose with 4 folds to me and 10s in my hand I would push but other than that I think I would fold often and wait til I had position with closer to any two. Then again I'm playing right now and this is an interesting situation that I would like to think over when I can give it my full attention.

citanul 05-19-2005 01:06 PM

nice! two posts and debate already!

btw, i forgot to add, if it changes anything for you to have this be a 800 chip game vs a 1000 chip game, that should be taken into account, or discussed, or something.

citanul

Winwood 05-19-2005 01:08 PM

Good question. It does happen all the time and I have no idea if the approach below right, but here it is anyway.

Even stacks, 4 fold, I have 88,99,TT:

I raise 3 or 3.5 x BB hoping to take it down right there. If someone reraises all in I probably fold, unless I know raiser to be unreliable. Then again maybe I call. Damn, I don't know.

Uneven stacks, 4 fold, behind me a 2x400 and 2x1800

Raise to 400. Happy if the short stacks call. Again though, if reraised all in I don't know.

So just how much does that suck?

Phoenix1010 05-19-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this would have been a push for me before but lately I've been folding a lot more in this situation. I suppose with 4 folds to me and 10s in my hand I would push but other than that I think I would fold often and wait til I had position with closer to any two. Then again I'm playing right now and this is an interesting situation that I would like to think over when I can give it my full attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please explain the rationale behind folding 99 in this situation?

rickr 05-19-2005 01:21 PM

Still 9 handed, I'm making a standard raise, hoping to A.) induce action. I would love to see 2 or 3 pushes behind me so I can dump and watch. B.) Steal the blinds. or C.) Read dependant whether I call a reraise or not. One thought is with this many left something has to give or it's going to be a crapshoot anyway. That's if the table was really tight and wasn't loosening up. If you were starting to see the table going into panic mode, be quick to dump if the action starts. There are better hands. That's for 88, 99, TT I think I raise with every intention of calling a push from either the SB or BB.

My 2 cents, for what their worth,
Rick

MSUcougar 05-19-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still 9 handed, I'm making a standard raise, hoping to A.) induce action. I would love to see 2 or 3 pushes behind me so I can dump and watch.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense. Why would you want this?

For me, with 1100 I probably make a standard raise with 88-TT and call/fold to a push based on the numbers I have on the villain. I probably call a push every time with TT.

With 800 here I probably push preflop.

Alot depends on what I perceive my table image is at the time.

Big Limpin' 05-19-2005 01:28 PM

Limp. Expect to be folding flop for t100 loss. Expect to be continuing if flopping set, 3 unders, or if weakies "ask" me to take the pot from them when they dont flop top pair.

<88...fold
>TT...raise

adanthar 05-19-2005 01:29 PM

Raising and then folding to a push is pretty bad. I refer you to my 'I'm only a coinflip so I fold' post; you're going to be getting almost 2:1 on a call and they are pushing with a lot more than seven hands. You might be able to find a fold with a 66, but not nines or tens and probably not eights unless you have an excellent read.

That's in a 1000 chip game. If you raise/fold in an 800 chip game with 900 behind, reread whichever book you have that tells you about pot odds.

Also, there's no shame in occasionally limping or folding an 88 UTG, but in MP, I'd never do this.