Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Simple Common Tournament Situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=139174)

David Sklansky 10-22-2004 02:24 PM

Simple Common Tournament Situation

Middle of a major no limit holdem tournament. About half the field is gone and your original $2000 is down to $1100. You are the best player at your table but there are no live ones there. Nine handed. 100-200 blinds. You are dealt QJ suited under the gun.

GrinningBuddha 10-22-2004 02:29 PM

Re: Simple Common Tournament Situation

Pass. If I'm the best player at the table, I don't need to be taking big risks like this. Make it AJ and I'll think about it.

37offsuit 10-22-2004 02:29 PM

fold

bigfishead 10-22-2004 02:34 PM

Information is incomplete. If I am regarded as the numero uno tight-ass image as well as aggressive, and the blinds do not have LARGE stacks, and I have played 10% of the flops, I still may muck.

Or not. I may bet 450-550, but I wont shove all-in.

But then again "it depends". If I think, they think, I think, etc. type of depends, and how often blinds respect raises and how aggressive/passive/loose/tight..the rest of the table is. But generally, tiny edges or coin flips as this hand is should be avoided by the best player at the table. Yet the short stack hurts those circumstances.

Does any of what I just said as I thought it aloud make sense? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

DonkeyKong 10-22-2004 02:37 PM

Hmmm.... have to move all-in. with $300 in blinds coming next 2 hands, you will be down to $800...

As for rationale:
I assume David is not going to so strongly clash with 'the system' where the 'key number' tells you to move in with any 2 suited cards in this scenario --- so QJ-suited is a virtual monster in this scenario... moreover, the key number will soon have you moving in with ANY 2 cards soon given your short-stack...

Robb 10-22-2004 02:38 PM

Don't get in this situation. Move in earlier - either on the previous round or earlier in the orbit.

If that was impossible then:

1)If there are many big stacks at your table, pass. Your all-in looks desperate. A medium stack may know this but pass anyway.
2)If there aren't many big stacks, I move in here. If you get called you have decent suckout potential.

jakethebake 10-22-2004 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother to hold back a pittance? If you're goin' at this point you go all in IMO.

jakethebake 10-22-2004 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so QJ-suited is a virtual a monster in this scenario...

[/ QUOTE ]

...according to VVP? "He's picked up a monster hand!"

AngryCola 10-22-2004 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother to hold back a pittance? If you're goin' at this point you go all in IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about that. Half your stack generally commits you. It doesn't have to but something unique would have to rear it's head. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

DonkeyKong 10-22-2004 02:42 PM

<<...according to VVP? "He's picked up a monster hand!">>

a 'sneaky, tricky hand... suited connectors... hands I love to play'