Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   My first hand in forever - JJ (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384462)

Jake (The Snake) 11-24-2005 04:25 AM

My first hand in forever - JJ

I've played probably about 1000 hands of poker since August and so I have not had any hands to post. I plan on posting quite a bit in the SSHUSH forum over the next two months as I try to learn 6max more.

Anyway, villain just joined the table a few hands ago so I am readless.

Preflop (5 handed):

UTG folds, CO raises, Button folds, I 3-bet JhJs from the SB, BB folds, CO caps.

Flop (9sb): Qh 2h 6c

Plan?

Edit: fixed action

admiralfluff 11-24-2005 04:30 AM

Re: My first hand in forever - JJ

what happened to CO?

ArturiusX 11-24-2005 04:36 AM

Check-raise the flop, peel to a 3-bet, keep betting until agro is shown.

Jake (The Snake) 11-24-2005 04:46 AM

That's what I thought at first too, and it may still be right, but...

Doesn't checkraising this flop make it incredibly easy for villain to play the rest of the hand? If he has a pocket pair lower than us, he's probably folding either the flop or turn. If he has a bigger pocket pair, now he has a bunch of options to extract more value from Hero and we have put in 2sb on the flop already when we are behind. If he has a queen, there's no way he's folding. If he has AK, now it's relatively easy for him to play perfectly for the rest of the hand. Maybe I'm just overthinking this one...

admiralfluff 11-24-2005 04:52 AM

I think art's line is the standard. Another thing you could consider would be to c/c the flop and c/r a safe turn, which might be a line better suited to the smaller games.

Ed Miller 11-24-2005 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a pocket pair lower than us, he's probably folding either the flop or turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two points:

1. If that were really true, then over time you could rob the guy blind by check-raising like every flop against him.

2. It's not really true.

ArturiusX 11-24-2005 05:53 AM

Another line if he's super agro, is the check/call to a showdown, only worth it if he pays off with anything. This is a good line vs a player capable of 3-beting with overcards.

11-24-2005 05:56 AM

Do you really want to find out on the turn that he has Qs beat? Check-raising the flop makes it easier for you to play as well, which was the point, right? More info = easier?

Edit: I might also mention that some 6-max players cap lightly on a steal, so you may be much better off than you think. They do that to take the pot from you on flops like this. Don't let them.

ArturiusX 11-24-2005 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really want to find out on the turn that he has Qs beat? Check-raising the flop makes it easier for you to play as well, which was the point, right? More info = easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this kind of game, relying on this info kinda sucks.

11-24-2005 06:00 AM

What other info do you have? Or are you saying that a different line produces better info?