Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   tricky QQ first hand of a $22 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=328363)

nath 09-02-2005 01:59 PM

tricky QQ first hand of a $22

Can't get converter to work. It's OK though because it's first hand, 10-20, everybody has 1500. No info on any players.

UB $22 10-person.

UTG calls; two folds to me, and I make it 120 with QQ. three folds, button calls. Small blind reraises to 370. Big blind cold calls. UTG now goes all-in for 1500 total. Back to me. What do I do?

nyc999 09-02-2005 02:16 PM

Re: tricky QQ first hand of a $22

With one re-raise and no other callers, push. In this hand, I have to think someone has you beat and your hand loses value 4-ways. I fold.

durron597 09-02-2005 02:22 PM

I would fold here.

Edit: KK I'm calling.

09-02-2005 02:30 PM

Typically, I fold my QQ and watch KQo, Axs, and pocket 77 battle it out for their tounament life.

09-02-2005 02:34 PM

Fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I messed around with pokerstove a little on this one, and in even the most optimistic situation (cold-caller folds and others have fairly loose ranges), you're only a slight favoite in a three-way pot with barely any added money. Drop out ridiculous optimism and you just found a situation where it's okay to fold QQ preflop in a small stakes SnG.

adanthar 09-02-2005 03:58 PM

It's UB and they're horribly weak/tight there last I checked, so fold.

applejuicekid 09-02-2005 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're only a slight favoite in a three-way pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an awesome situation to be in?

nath 09-02-2005 08:33 PM

Ok, results:
I verbally lamented the situation for a while, and I ended up calling.
Everyone folded and UTG flipped over tens.
I fully expected to see UTG or the small blind show AA or KK, which is why I sweated the decision.
And why I asked.
I'm not sure if the actual hands are typical or if I should have gotten blown out by aces or kings and deserved it. At a higher level I might fold. $22s? Hard to say.

And for the record, with KK I call in a shot and don't think twice; with JJ I fold and don't think twice. Ah, queens.

09-02-2005 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're only a slight favoite in a three-way pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an awesome situation to be in?

[/ QUOTE ]

By small favorite, I mean slightly more than 33%, not slightly more than 50%. Remember that exploiting marginal edges early in an SnG is -EV.

ReDeYES88 09-03-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, results:
I verbally lamented the situation for a while, and I ended up calling.
Everyone folded and UTG flipped over tens.
I fully expected to see UTG or the small blind show AA or KK, which is why I sweated the decision.
And why I asked.
I'm not sure if the actual hands are typical or if I should have gotten blown out by aces or kings and deserved it. At a higher level I might fold. $22s? Hard to say.

And for the record, with KK I call in a shot and don't think twice; with JJ I fold and don't think twice. Ah, queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

we are smart enuff and good enuff that we don't need to take these sort of risks early and can still finish ITM. ...especially with deep stacks. ...