Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KQs, this is just awful PF (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=236174)

Yads 04-20-2005 12:13 PM

KQs, this is just awful PF

My first foray into 3/6 and I'm playing scared poker. CO was a 66/20 after 15 hands. Can a case even be made for cold calling here?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls

LImitPlayer 04-20-2005 12:17 PM

Re: KQs, this is just awful PF

I would 3 bet and hope UTG1 folds preflop

Rico Suave 04-20-2005 12:18 PM

Yads

[ QUOTE ]
Can a case even be made for cold calling here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

--Rico

Perseus 04-20-2005 12:19 PM

With position against this raiser, and even though it's only been 15 hands you know he's not a tight player, I raise this PF...

...you want to try to isolate him heads up

DMBFan23 04-20-2005 12:24 PM

I think you have a definite edge against the limper, the question is how do you fare against the raiser. 20 hands is basically no read, but you will be ahead of all but the rockiest player's range here.

3 betting will probably not fold out the limper unless he is a good player (this would not be a bad result, if he is good) but having initiative plus exploiting your likely edge is a good enough reason for me to three bet.

MRBAA 04-20-2005 12:28 PM

I'd just call here as well. Your hand isn't strong enough to reraise for value, you may well not knock out the limper (and probably want him in if you hit anyway) and could get four bet by the cutoff.

I call with position and look to get a piece of the flop. Getting about 6.5-1 if the cutoff bets the flop, I'm prepared to fold if I flat out miss raise with a piece or a flush draw.

DMBFan23 04-20-2005 12:30 PM

this also depends on the BB IMO, if he is loose I think there is more merit to calling, if he is tight/solid I think a three bet becomes more mandatory

Luke 04-20-2005 12:32 PM

You only have 15 hands so you can't say too much about the guy but I think you know he's loose and possibly aggressive.

If you had a stronger read (more hands) and he was still raising 20% of the time, you should 3-bet there in a heartbeat.

But without the more reliable data, I'd just call as I still think your hand and position are strong enough to at least take a flop.

Luke

coolhanded 04-20-2005 12:39 PM

Tough call, but I say call. By the numbers, heads up you are a slight dog (~54/46) to any pocket pair below QQ, and any non-suited Ax with kicker below a Q. With this hand in this situation, I'll take the limper (and the BB if possible) in versus being heads up with the CO. Despite CO's LAGgy PT stats, his raise indicates he should have something decent here with an UTG caller, so I don't think I want him heads up. If he's the type that is aggressive early and then lays 'em down a lot before a showdown, I'd consider 3-betting.

Yads 04-20-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You only have 15 hands so you can't say too much about the guy but I think you know he's loose and possibly aggressive.

If you had a stronger read (more hands) and he was still raising 20% of the time, you should 3-bet there in a heartbeat.

But without the more reliable data, I'd just call as I still think your hand and position are strong enough to at least take a flop.

Luke

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thinking at the time. He could have easily just been on a good run of cards (he wasn't showing down any hands since people would just fold to his aggression.) I figured I had position and a pretty decent hand to at least see what the flop brought. Well at least it wasn't a total donk play.