Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I can’t read maniacs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345397)

Roland 09-27-2005 11:16 AM

I can’t read maniacs

I had played one other hand against villain a few hours ago. He completed with a ten up, I re-raise with an ace up, he 3-bet, I capped. I bet on 4th and he calls. On 5th, I make open aces, he makes open deuces. I bet, he calls and makes a boat on 6th to beat my trip aces.
Given this info, how’d I play it? My river cap is crazy, yeah? Who 3-bets 5th? Who slows down earlier?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.50 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises

5th Street - (5.75 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (9.75 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (11.75 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises___calls

Total pot: (19.75 BB)

beta1607 09-27-2005 11:24 AM

Re: I can’t read maniacs

I like everything. The cap on 7th is close given your description but if it is wrong, its not a huge mistake.

BTirish 09-27-2005 11:40 AM

The river cap depends on the kind of maniac. I've played with players who are hyper-aggressive on 3rd-5th, but who know appropriate value calling/betting/raising on the river. Others are just maniacs the whole way. Knowing that there are some of the former type out there helps to save some money.

Otherwise, I like how you played it. You got a little more money in when you were probably ahead or only somewhat behind. Accepting the higher variance is definitely a winning proposition against this kind of player.

If he had 9-10 for hole cards or filled up on the river... that sucks. But I think you played it right (except for the river cap, which is player-dependent).

Jacob_Gilliam 09-27-2005 12:14 PM

I like it. Generally on fifth I call down against maniacs if I'm unimproved. Against a true maniac, capping is great, but as the previous poster stated, you need to know that this is the kind of opponent who would reraise with something weak like a pair or two pair.

lstream 09-27-2005 12:30 PM

Lots of maniacs like to go into hyper-bluff mode after they have laid a beating on you. On fourth he is trying to tell you he has trip queens - I think I would start to believe him about the same time it appears you did. Could still by a bluff though.

I think I play it the same way including the river cap. He is not nutty enough to raise fourth with a 9 T 8 Q is he?

Roland 09-28-2005 01:34 PM

RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
He is not nutty enough to raise fourth with a 9 T 8 Q is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately though, the answer is „yes he is“.
Villain shows: [ 9s Jd 8d Qs Jc 7s Ts ] and takes it down.

lstream 09-28-2005 02:20 PM

Re: RESULTS

Well this guy redefines the art of chasing a gut shot straight then. His play on fourth is unreal, but consistent with my hyper bluff comment. Too bad it worked for him.

bholdr 09-28-2005 03:58 PM

i would have bet out on the river (hoping to get to re-raise), but it worked out the way you wanted it to anyway.

09-28-2005 05:25 PM

It's good that it worked for him. He will be reinforced for poor play. And that is how profit is made for those with a mortgage.

lstream 09-28-2005 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's good that it worked for him. He will be reinforced for poor play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya - it's nice of Roland to be funding the training program for these guys.