Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Does the Leaderboard mean anything? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382977)

ebaudry 11-21-2005 10:31 PM

Does the Leaderboard mean anything?

So i hit #250 on the leaderboard this month, which at first felt like an accomplishment, and now i'm not so sure.

If only 8% of online poker breaks even, and there are 800,000 tournament poker players at Party, then I in theory this month did better than 255/266 breakeven+ players.

Given the randomness in a given months returns, it would seem like i could be pretty mediocre and still get #250 from time to time.

So... is #250 good? Should i read into this at all?

This month has been 4-tabling the $33+3 STT at party. played about 500 for 12-15% ROI.

Thanks for any input.

popimp3333 11-21-2005 10:37 PM

Re: Does the Leaderboard mean anything?

i think it is a decent accomplishment but nothing to shake a stick at. now if you do this for a few months in a row that would show some more promise.

pokerponcho 11-21-2005 10:46 PM

I'm right around 100 on the leaderboard this month playing about 25 sit 'n gos a a day at partypoker.com and I haven't won all that much money. My bother won a multitable tournament and a second place in a limit hold'em tournament and he didn't make the leaderboard top 100.

Personally I think that $$$ is the best way to keep score at the end of the day.

ilya 11-21-2005 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing to shake a stick at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this idiom means what I think you think it means, mon ami.

KennyBanya 11-21-2005 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it is a decent accomplishment but nothing to shake a stick at. now if you do this for a few months in a row that would show some more promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt "nothing to shake a stick at" mean it is a decent accomplishment?

Its kind of like you are saying it twice.

KennyBanya

mlagoo 11-21-2005 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im sorry, the correct answer was "nothing to write home about." good effort, and we hope to see you again.

ClockWyze 11-22-2005 12:56 AM

The Leaderboard in some cases can mean very little

I am top 40 on the leaderboard. But here is an example of my results from today

53 (50+5) SNG's

1st 2nd 3rd
6 4 7

Down - $115 on the day

I will still get close to 700-800 points

The party leaderboard favours high volume players - over winning and more skillful players.

Either way - high volume is positvely correlated with winning otherwise you would go broke..

So shoot for the top

-Cheers

ClockWyze [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

pokerponcho 11-22-2005 12:58 AM

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say... well illustrated.

ace_in_the_hole 11-22-2005 01:10 AM

I think the fact that party gives out a decent amount of money for the top 5 is a good motivator. $5,000 for 1st thats a nice monthly income boost.

psyduck 11-22-2005 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Leaderboard in some cases can mean very little

I am top 40 on the leaderboard. But here is an example of my results from today

53 (50+5) SNG's

1st 2nd 3rd
6 4 7

Down - $115 on the day

I will still get close to 700-800 points

The party leaderboard favours high volume players - over winning and more skillful players.

Either way - high volume is positvely correlated with winning otherwise you would go broke..

So shoot for the top

-Cheers

ClockWyze [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, pretty much. You could easily make #1 on the leaderboard by playing 100 20+2s every day for the month. In fact, a lot of the top people on the leaderboard ARE just 10-tabling the 22s/33s for 8 hours every day.

the thing is that the # of points you earn is actually logarithmic in relation to the buy-in, not linear. so you make like twice* the # of points for a 1st in a $1065 compared to a 1st in a $22.

*not sure exactly, but you get the picture.