Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Who's the [censored]? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402607)

12-21-2005 04:31 AM

Who\'s the [censored]?

We have a road around my neighborhood which goes from two lanes down to one lane right before a railroad track and red light. Whenever a train goes by, a huge line forms in the right lane about 30 or 40 cars long. And everytime this happens, a few people go into the left lane until it begins to merge into the right lane. Now, this pisses me the hell off. These people aren't more important than us in the right lane, and should have to wait in line like everyone else. So I don't let them in. Within all my power, these [censored] are not getting in front of me. So here's my question:

lastchance 12-21-2005 04:33 AM

Re: Who\'s the [censored]?

Is there a both option?

pokergrader 12-21-2005 04:36 AM

Its a simple system. Anybody can attempt to be a cutter if they want, there is nothing illegal about it.

Since I do not like cutting, I do not cut or let cutters in. However, I do not get angry at line waiters for letting them in or for people being cutters. I'm much more worried about not getting in an accident than I am in teaching a cutter a life lesson.

emonrad87 12-21-2005 04:59 AM

There is nothing at all illegal about going in an open lane. Calm yourself.

12-21-2005 05:03 AM

I know there's nothing illegal about it, but I just don't think it's something that should happen in a civilized society. Things like this are what's wrong with the world today, people not respecting others. And I make a few exceptions. Specifically, really old, senile-looking people and people with out-of-state tags who, presumably, don't realize that they're cutting.

fluxrad 12-21-2005 05:04 AM

You are correct. Cutters are pricks who think the rules don't apply to them. These are the assholes that drive in the HOV lane because it's empty.

CardSharpCook 12-21-2005 05:10 AM

Isn't there something to be said for using the road space to its fullest? Why must you have 1 line 1 mile long instead of 2 lines 1/2 mile long? What's the bloody difference?If your job is to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, The distance is actually made up of numerous points A and B. If everyone follows this logic, the right and left lane would fill at the same rate. Hence, no problem. Sadly, fascist pigs like you want us all to wait in lines, and do not realize that if everyone would simply operate according to their own benefit, the situation would be stable.

12-21-2005 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there something to be said for using the road space to its fullest? Why must you have 1 line 1 mile long instead of 2 lines 1/2 mile long? What's the bloody difference?If your job is to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, The distance is actually made up of numerous points A and B. If everyone follows this logic, the right and left lane would fill at the same rate. Hence, no problem. Sadly, fascist pigs like you want us all to wait in lines, and do not realize that if everyone would simply operate according to their own benefit, the situation would be stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that idea. In fact, I love that idea. But people are idiots who think they know what's best for everyone else. Hence, even if there were signs and brochures and TV commercials touting it as the end-all to this problem, they wouldn't give a [censored].

siccjay 12-21-2005 05:15 AM

I am a cutter, but I hate other cutters.

Woolygimp 12-21-2005 05:20 AM

CardSharkCook, two 1/2 mile long lanes would create excessive merging. If you know anything about traffic merging slows down a lanes movement drastically.

It takes longer for 2 1/2 mile lanes to merge into a single lane and continue than a single 2 mile lane.

MelK 12-21-2005 05:37 AM

You should drive on the shoulder and cut in front of both lanes. That'll teach 'em.

On a serious note, the road designers often do things for a purpose. In this case, maybe they did not want very long lines interfering with the previous intersection, so they made two lanes.

Why do most people feel like getting in the right lane? I would freely use both and there would a lot less tension if there was no ability to get very far ahead of your original order.

handsome 12-21-2005 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

12-21-2005 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

evil_twin 12-21-2005 07:27 AM

I am a cutter and I respect other cutters, and hate the blockers. There are two lanes. The queue should form up in both lanes to minimize the length of the queue. If people are too stupid for this to happen then I use the lane with the shorter queue.

Woolygimp 12-21-2005 07:38 AM

FFS, people stay in one lane to speed [censored] up. You assholes who cut and go in the left lane slow everyone the [censored] down. If I see you I'll probaly throw chicken mcnuggets out the window at your forehead.

DeeJ 12-21-2005 07:56 AM

Exactly. What annoys me is when some self-appointed traffic master in the long line in a big truck drives 2/3 in the outer lane to block people from joining the shorter line... and then has the cheek (whilst breaking the rules of the road himself) to shout and wave furiously angrily at the innocent road user who wants to use the available road...

12-21-2005 08:44 AM

I am a blocker only when there is one lane and you try to get past me. You are not more important than me and I am propably much bigger than you, in car and phyical body size. If it's one lane YOU ARE NOT GETTING PAST ME. Call me names all you want but fark you to the cutters.

mrkilla 12-21-2005 09:43 AM

you apparently don't live in NY. This is common practice, cut or be cut thats the name of the game.

I am a cutter and a blocker only way to get around or you'll be in a toll line for hours

Bulldog 12-21-2005 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Here in PA they started putting up "Merge at the Merge Point" signs and "Take Your Turn Here" signs and everything works better. I'm always using the lane moving fastest until my lane ends. So if you want to line up two miles before the other lane ends, knock yourself out.

RunDownHouse 12-21-2005 09:58 AM

NeedsMoreNuts,

For a full discussion of this topic, please see this thread. Pay particular attention to posts from Patrick del Poker Grande and myself for a greater understanding of why you are wrong.

Helpfully,
RunDownHouse

12-21-2005 10:28 AM

I don’t think this needs a whole new thread so I will ask it here: You are stuck in traffic, two lanes, both lanes are moving about the same speed, about 2 mph. But the jackass directly in front of you feels the need to let about 5 or 6 car lengths grow in front of him before he moves. Of course some one from the other lane jumps in front to fill the space. What do you do?

RunDownHouse 12-21-2005 10:34 AM

I scream at the idiot in front of me because he's retarded.

I don't understand the point of your question. Its perfectly acceptable for someone from the other line to fill in if someone leaves a gap like that. It shouldn't ever happen because there is no reason to leave such a gap in that situation, but people suck, so it does happen.

12-21-2005 10:47 AM

Well the question is do you get out of your car and beat the living [censored] out of the farker who is letting eveyone go or not. Basicly I wanted to see if anyone else would do what I did which was get out of the car and tell the guy to farking stay with in a car length of the car in front of him. I know getting out of your car is a big no no on the highway but I was sick of this guy just sitting there.

Would you have done the same? remember this is after many repeated horn blasts.

RunDownHouse 12-21-2005 10:57 AM

Sorry, I'm too worried about getting shot to actually get out of my car. Isn't passing on the shoulder an option, if its the highway?

12-21-2005 11:00 AM

Technicly it was a two line on-ramp so there was no breakdown lane.

DoomSlice 12-21-2005 11:04 AM

You're my hero.

imported_The Vibesman 12-21-2005 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CardSharkCook, two 1/2 mile long lanes would create excessive merging. If you know anything about traffic merging slows down a lanes movement drastically.

It takes longer for 2 1/2 mile lanes to merge into a single lane and continue than a single 2 mile lane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. People trying to cut in slow everything down to a crawl, that's what annoys me about it.

Also, they cause traffic jams, accidents, and steal social security money from old ladies. They support Al Qaida, Al Sharpton, and alimony. They are against America, baseball, apple pie and sitcom TV.

If you let them cut in front of you, the terrorists win.

fyodor 12-21-2005 12:21 PM

One I have never understood:

You are in the right lane and are going to be forced to merge into the left lane. Common sense is to go as far as possible in the right lane before merging.

All the time I see cars merging 15 car lengths before they have to. This makes the left lane longer than it was. I am in the right lane and drive right by that moran to the correct designated merging spot.

Now everyone behind the moran in the left lane has shifted 2 cars back instead of the one car back they should have moved. Plus someone that was behind the moran is now in front of him - me.

So he hurts himself and everyone in the left lane.

Why do people do that? Are they morans?

fyodor 12-21-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. People trying to cut in slow everything down to a crawl, that's what annoys me about it.

Also, they cause traffic jams, accidents, and steal social security money from old ladies. They support Al Qaida, Al Sharpton, and alimony. They are against America, baseball, apple pie and sitcom TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes no one was ever in the other lane. wtf is it there for? If you are in the other lane you stay in it till you have to get out. See my previous post.

evil_twin 12-21-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This assumes no one was ever in the other lane. wtf is it there for? If you are in the other lane you stay in it till you have to get out. See my previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. There are two lanes for a reason, use them until you cannot anymore. If there is one massive queue in one lane only then a bunch of people have collectively been very stupid.

Slow Play Ray 12-21-2005 12:40 PM

I am a cutter when there is a legal lane for it and I will let other cutters in when there is a legal lane for it. If they are forming their own lane, f*$k them. I am good at making it clear I will gladly hit them rather than let them cut in. I can be an angry driver, but I am more than fair to those who drive intelligently.

imported_The Vibesman 12-21-2005 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes no one was ever in the other lane. wtf is it there for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually so people can take right turns on and off the road without impeding the traffic going straight, or for use as a passing lane if someone is stopped in the left lane taking a left turn.

9 times out of 10 that is what the extra lane is supposed to be used for.

BTW, I have no problem with people jockeying for position, as long as you don't slow me down. Cutters usually are in their own little world, don't pay attention enough to merge correctly, and slow down the traffic in front of me. The people that fly by in the right lane when everyone is in the left waiting and get ahead of the lane when the light turns, I don't have a problem with as they don't slow me down. I do this a lot, but I don't slow anyone down.

bwana devil 12-21-2005 01:02 PM

i used to be a cutter all day long. i commuted to work 80 miles each way and would do everything in my power to cut time off my trip.

now that im older i realize how selfish i was being. i am considerate of other drivers and expect the same now. if i see someone trying to cut i will go out of my way to box them out or roll down my window and share a comment w/ them.

bwana

tdarko 12-21-2005 01:20 PM

definately needs some nuts,

i understand that its frustrating for anyone when you are waiting like you are "supposed" to and someone else takes it upon themselves to better their position in line. now in a perfect world we would have bullhorns on top of our cars and we could communicate that "cutting" just log jams the front, actually causing MORE traffic but not more traffic for the cutter and that is my point...

since it is not a perfect world and you will always have people rushing to the front or people in HOV lanes cause there empty etc. then there really is only one way to counter that...stop your [censored] bitching and cut in front of them. its what i do, and i am good at it. i am at the point where i could really give a [censored] about you b/c it doesn't matter, i live in a city (if you count the metroplex) of 5 million people so wherever i go there is going to be traffic so its always going to be a dogfight to the front, might as well buckle up and fight back instead of acting like a bitch about it. seriously this post sounded like my mother.

strategic cutter,

~td

fyodor 12-21-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually so people can take right turns on and off the road without impeding the traffic going straight, or for use as a passing lane if someone is stopped in the left lane taking a left turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the lane is clearly intended for another use (an exit lane or something) and is being abused this is a different story.

If however there are simply 2 lanes going to the same place and at one point they merge (which is VERY common around metro Toronto) you should merge where the lanes merge, not 15 car lengths back.

12-21-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If however there are simply 2 lanes going to the same place and at one point they merge (which is VERY common around metro Toronto) you should merge where the lanes merge, not 15 car lengths back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Toronto also. Drivers will speed up to beat you to the merge and I'm not a big fan of letting them in. Anyone else I'll let in, but I want the wave.

Shajen 12-21-2005 02:11 PM

I'm a fan of the "I just cut you off really [censored] bad, but here's a wave because I know you know I know that I just did a [censored] move" wave.

Gets me everytime.