Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Can I call a river bet with T-high? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386205)

kurosh 11-27-2005 03:53 PM

Can I call a river bet with T-high?

10/20 3-handed. I haven't played much with this guy, but he has been playing decent so far.

Button folds, I raise T7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and he calls in the BB.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet, he calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, he checks.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, he bets. I call?

11-27-2005 04:03 PM

Re: Can I call a river bet with T-high?

I'm not entirely sure it's worthwhile with such a small pot and him having a K some portion of the time, but assuming that you were going to try and take it down wouldn't a raise serve you better (even if it looks incredibly fishy)? Seems like an awful fuss for 3BB.

Surfbullet 11-27-2005 04:05 PM

I can't imagine calling here. What do you expect him to have, 57?

What's the weakest hand we could call with that would show a profit here? I'd want at least A-hi.

Surf

11-27-2005 04:08 PM

Q high GK would be pretty solid here.

baronzeus 11-27-2005 04:16 PM

no. bet the river if you wanna try to win this hand. i hate calling.

kurosh 11-27-2005 04:17 PM

His hand range here is gigantic. He is defending nearly any two. With the postflop action, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a pair, except maybe a king. Nearly any two are peeling that flop. Ace-high bets the turn some of the time.

On the river, a king is clearly betting. Ace-high shouldn't bet, but maybe it does sometimes. Q-high probably doesn't bet because what better hand is folding? I am calling with A-high all the time here and I think most people would too. J-high bets some of the time to get rid of Q-high.

Erik W 11-27-2005 06:13 PM

I'd always call this with A,Q, high if u bet out.
If u wan't to win it you need to checkraise.
You put in 2 bets to win 4.
If you think he folds more than 1/3 you will be ahead.

He will be hardpressed to call with A-high here.
This is good to use at times but not too often of course
and is very player dependant.

NLSoldier 11-27-2005 06:25 PM

I sorta like a call here. Heres my thinking.

1) He likely 3bets with an ace preflop and even if he has on and didnt, he probably wont value bet it on the river.

2) If he has a Q he will probably check through expeccting that he might be good and that you wouldnt fold an ace anyways.

3) he could have a jack and be trying to get you to fold a Q, but I think he will often check with a jack for most of the same reasons as with a Q.

4) Metagame is very important HU and whether you win or lose, the fact that you were willing to call on the river with T high is going to have an affect on how often he tries to bluff you.

It really sucks if he has T9 or T8 though [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Danenania 11-27-2005 06:48 PM

I would rather checkraise than call I think. Though in practice I'd just fold.

ALL1N 11-27-2005 07:40 PM

Bet turn, then you can bet the river. I prefer a check/fold given what happened. You're actually only ahead of a very slim range, given that he'll always bet a K, yet won't bluff all the time.