Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Calling with any two cards (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396814)

Derek123 12-12-2005 01:16 PM

Calling with any two cards

You are in the SB with at 15/30. How many limpers does it take to comlete with 72o, 83o etc.?

toss 12-12-2005 02:48 PM

Re: Calling with any two cards

Sometimes zero. With a 2/3 blind structure. And a weak BB.

newhizzle 12-12-2005 03:20 PM

i usually play any two always unless the BB is super aggro, but i dont know if its right

12-12-2005 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually play any two always unless the BB is super aggro, but i dont know if its right

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is correct to call with any two, no matter how many people are in. The more people are in the better your pot odds, and the less people are in the higher the chance you have of winning the pot which makes up for the lower pot odds. And like you said newhizzle, the one exception to this strategy is when the BB is very aggressive. I have no hard data to back this up, but that is how I approach this situation in a 2-3 structure.

Mempho 12-12-2005 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is correct to call with any two, no matter how many people are in. The more people are in the better your pot odds, and the less people are in the higher the chance you have of winning the pot which makes up for the lower pot odds. And like you said newhizzle, the one exception to this strategy is when the BB is very aggressive. I have no hard data to back this up, but that is how I approach this situation in a 2-3 structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do, I don't think you can call and fold unless its a timid player. If I make a call with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the BB raises in a HU pot, I call. I know the value is not there given that I can't beat a random hand, but I think not contesting this pot puts you in a precarious situation on future pots. Flame me, but I have called with 72s before and been raised HU and contested the pot. BB had AQ and I made a pair of dueces on the flop and I was basically called a moron for it, but I don't see how completing and laying down is good poker against an aggressive opponent.

Derek123 12-12-2005 05:36 PM

Ok what about in a 1/2 blind structure?

RED_RAIN 12-13-2005 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, I don't think you can call and fold unless its a timid player. If I make a call with T 2 and the BB raises in a HU pot, I call. I know the value is not there given that I can't beat a random hand, but I think not contesting this pot puts you in a precarious situation on future pots. Flame me, but I have called with 72s before and been raised HU and contested the pot. BB had AQ and I made a pair of dueces on the flop and I was basically called a moron for it, but I don't see how completing and laying down is good poker against an aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem here I think is the mistake made when you complete T2s or 72s against an aggressive BB...do you see why?

obsidian 12-13-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here I think is the mistake made when you complete T2s or 72s against an aggressive BB...do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]
So, fold to a raise. Even aggressive players don't raise in the BB very often.

Mempho 12-13-2005 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So, fold to a raise. Even aggressive players don't raise in the BB very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

It tends to happen quite a bit when it's simply a SB v. BB confrontation. I would venture that aggressive players raise about half the time here.

Mempho 12-13-2005 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, I don't think you can call and fold unless its a timid player. If I make a call with T 2 and the BB raises in a HU pot, I call. I know the value is not there given that I can't beat a random hand, but I think not contesting this pot puts you in a precarious situation on future pots. Flame me, but I have called with 72s before and been raised HU and contested the pot. BB had AQ and I made a pair of dueces on the flop and I was basically called a moron for it, but I don't see how completing and laying down is good poker against an aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I see why. I think the biggest problem with this comes in the 15/30 where the 2/3 structure gives you odds to call. Now, if the BB is going to raise liberally here just because he has position, you're going to have to call liberally to avoid giving your positive expectation to him every time this situation comes up. Of course, a counter tactic is to fold the bottom x% and go to war with the upper x% and try to regain the expection lost by letting him pump your selected hands thereby giving you a theoretical edge. You're probably going to have to make up some of this expectation in postflop play (which is usually much easier in a blind war).