Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Small Stakes No-Limit BOOK! (25NL espec.) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=373076)

11-06-2005 06:31 PM

Small Stakes No-Limit BOOK! (25NL espec.)

What's the best one that would suit my needs?

MicroBob 11-06-2005 06:47 PM

Re: Small Stakes No-Limit BOOK! (25NL espec.)

The no-limit 'short-stacked' strategy section in Ed Miller's Getting Started in Holdem would probably suit your needs.

Beyond that....perhaps Ciaffone's PL/NL poker.

Harrington's books are geared towards tournaments...but many of the no-limit strategies translate to the cash-game too I believe.

Miller and Sklansky are working on a 'Theory of No-Limit' type book that should hopefully come out in a few months.

Niediam 11-06-2005 07:23 PM

Harrington on Hold'em Vol 1

dirty moose 11-06-2005 10:50 PM

none of Ciaffone's books seems to be geared to low limit

11-07-2005 10:10 AM

thought i posted this.... gordon is good, but not really a textbook. harrington is good, but very, very tight and tournament related (he is big positive EV guy, but some survival too).

i hear good things about russell fox. can't remember title.

11-07-2005 07:55 PM

"he [Harrington] is big positive EV guy, but some survival too"

Could you please elaborate on this? What do you mean about "survival"?

MCS 11-07-2005 08:04 PM

I think he means that there are often decisions in tournaments where if you just look at the chip EV you have a +EV situation (say the pot odds are 3-1 and you figure you're 30% to win) but by putting your chips in you risk being eliminated. In a cash game this is a no-doubt call, but in a tournament it's not as immediately clear.

There are spirited discussions on how far out of your way you should go to avoid getting eliminated or crippled.

cwsiggy 11-07-2005 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The no-limit 'short-stacked' strategy section in Ed Miller's Getting Started in Holdem would probably suit your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a dumb question about this. What happens when you double up and are no longer a "short stack"? Do you continue playing this theory, or do you then change to more normal play? I must admit, I have not read that section.

11-08-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"he [Harrington] is big positive EV guy, but some survival too"

Could you please elaborate on this? What do you mean about "survival"?

[/ QUOTE ]

harrington's book i think is more about tournaments where you really have to think whether your 54/46% play for all your chips is worth it.

cash game you can play that fairly easily (i know it necessitates that you know is 54/46%), but tournament you have to worry about death.

but harrington is very focussed on EV and seems to have no huge problem with 60/40 plays fairly early (please correct me if you disagree) in tournaments. obviously it's alot better if you have the guy covered 2.5X. then it's a crazy no-brainer.

so harrington is very EV focussed for a tournament book. so much other stuff i've read just seems to say wait for 75/25 showdowns.

please feel free to disagree. my original point was that tournaments have a bit more of a survival focus than cash games and that i think harrington's book is more applicable for tournaments than cash games (although someone could easily adjust his advice a little).