Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I don't know what this riverbet is accomplishing (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243298)

AZK 05-01-2005 04:25 AM

I don\'t know what this riverbet is accomplishing

10/20 prima

Table has tightened up, folded around to button who makes it 80 to go, I call in the BB with AJ. Only note I have on the button is he raised preflop a while back with QQ and checked the whole hand down on an AKxxx board. weak.

Flop comes AA6 (1 diamond)
check, check
turn 8 (2 diamonds)
I lead for 80 (1/2 the pot), villain minraises, I call.
River T (3 diamonds)

I lead for pot.

What is this bet accomplishing? Is this a value bet? Is this me trying to move him off an ace thinking I went runner runner. Would he even fold? Maybe. Sometimes I have no [censored] clue what I am doing.

Edit: I have Ace of diamonds if that matters...

Jason Strasser 05-01-2005 04:44 AM

Re: I don\'t know what this riverbet is accomplishing

I think you answer this Q yourself by the title of your post. The river bet is extremely unusual given the type of opponent, unless you really have a nutso image. The whole flush draw thing seems pretty unbelievable (hence the power of the runner runner flush). I really dont think a better ace folds here. I think a more intruiging line would be a fat 2x overbet here or more. I mean if he has KK you'll assume he wont pay off any non-wimpy river value bet, and if he has a better ace he may actually fold. I guess this would be something you'd have to work into your game, but when I try moves like this and get looked up it costs me money for the hand but makes me money later when I can make big bets and get paid.

Of course, a big overbet is not so good if you think there is some value to betting 1/3-1/2 pot and getting a nice call from KK or QQ and also hands that beat you like AK. But I definitely like a small blocking/value bet here much better than a ck/call, and both seem better than a pot sized bet where I'm not sure what you're looking for.

-Jason

Chaostracize 05-01-2005 05:35 AM

Re: I don\'t know what this riverbet is accomplishing

Is it really unusual to check down QQ on an AKxxx board? I can't see taking a stab a pot with this hand as other than a bluff... but I don't want to hijack your thread. I just don't know if you can really deduce that he's weak from that hand.

Either way I personally like the 1/4-1/3 milking bet. I don't think a large overbet accomplishes much, unless you are putting him on AQ/AK. A turn check raise with these hands is kind of uncharacteristic though. I think you are either crushed by a boat, or are up against some kind of second pair hand who is making sure to fold to whatever river bet you make. I think with a smaller bet you can get him to change his mind, and if you really still think he's passive and he raises, obviously it's a muck.

But, I'm probably wrong.