Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Losing value or prudence?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401055)

ajmargarine 12-18-2005 11:17 PM

Losing value or prudence??

Villian's about 75/25. Limps alot of junk. Presses the autobet pot button preflop sometimes before action gets to him, which is what he did here. The only time he had to show in one of these situations, he showed A7o from a similar MP position. Other times he won without showdown. He's been both tricky and straightforward postflop with his made hands.

I've been making solid river value bets more and more lately, but I still check behind too much when I imagine monsters (ie. river c/r) behind every corner. Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed)

UTG+1 ($310.60)
MP1 ($165.25)
MP2 ($114.85)
CO ($23)
Hero ($123.35)
SB ($94.98)
BB ($62.82)
UTG ($244.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($8.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($28.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($58.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $58.50

Isura 12-18-2005 11:20 PM

Re: Losing value or prudence??

Stacks are still $130 on the river. Value bet the river. I think he will call with Ax thinking it is a split.

ajmargarine 12-18-2005 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stacks are still $130 on the river. Value bet the river. I think he will call with Ax thinking it is a split.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he has AK or A8....

It's kind of funny when you think about it how that turn Ace is really a blank. I was WA/WB on the flop, figured his overbet was worth a call and not a raise. And the second Ace really doesn't change that WA/WB reality. His check on the river just means to me that he doesn't have AJ or AT. He still could have a hand that beats me like AK, A8, 88 or JJ....Don't think this is an autobet, and that's why I posted. (plus I have no doubt he's calling me with whatever he has, he was pretty passive after one barrel if he didn't have much...I think he's got something good here, just a matter of if it's better than me)

DJ Sensei 12-19-2005 12:37 AM

The key factor to me here is that he slows down on every street postflop (indicating that his hand is looking less and less valuable). On the other hand, I could also see JJ or 88 taking a line like this, hoping to induce your presumable Ax to raise the turn or bet the river...

I could go either way on it, but I think theres enough value in a bet to make it worthwhile. (lets just hope you dont get CR-ed)

12-19-2005 12:47 AM

I'm OK with the check on the river for the reasons you gave. I would have reraised preflop.

He may only have Jx here and thought he could scare you with the second A coming. The river check would then be because he knows he's beat, another reason to check since he would fold to a raise, and in case you are WB you can avoid a trap.

Mercman572 12-19-2005 01:07 AM

Interesting, you feel villain will only call the river? Than whether or not a value bet is +EV depends entirely on the range of aces you can put him on. If that number exceeds the number of hands that beats you, it's an easy value bet.

tagtastic 12-19-2005 02:12 AM

You're way ahead IMO, if he even has an ace (unlikely) it's very weak. Being 75/25 I think he'll call a small-ish value bet though with whatever he has (a J? pockets? weak A?). If he c/r you then it's possible you are beat, very read dependent on what to do if this happens.

12-19-2005 02:31 AM

here i minraise villains on the turn, because i like that move in this situation at these stakes and because of his stats I bet the river when checked to me because I have him beat 8 to 9 out of 10 times.

soah 12-19-2005 03:54 AM

Minraising is just going to slow him down here. We have a very strong hand and the last thing we want to do is take the maniac out of the lead when he could have nothing. If you want to get your entire stack in the pot there are more efficient ways to get it done.

wdeadwyler 12-19-2005 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Minraising is just going to slow him down here. We have a very strong hand and the last thing we want to do is take the maniac out of the lead when he could have nothing. If you want to get your entire stack in the pot there are more efficient ways to get it done.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think he wants to get stack into pot I think he wants to slow villain down.