Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Check behind on the turn? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370288)

Pharity 11-02-2005 09:51 AM

Check behind on the turn?

Ok, chew on this one:

Villain is relatively unknown, he has played tight so far though. Thats all i know.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?..

Everyone wants to bet?

AaronS 11-02-2005 10:11 AM

Re: Check behind on the turn?

I think it is close between betting and checking, but I would probalby just go ahead and bet. Even if you get check-raised, you probably have 14 or so outs, and you'd hate to give him a free card if he has a gut-shot.

11-02-2005 10:11 AM

It’s a small pot, I’m checking and folding to the turn bet. What can SB have that you beat if he’s calling a raise and a bet on the flop. 99-JJ? Maybe 4 Qxs hands (QJ, QT, Q9, Q8), but that’s unlikely if he’s tight. I’d put him on AK-A10, or 99-JJ, so that’s too many hands that beat you.

My humble opinion…

Solid_p 11-02-2005 10:37 AM

Just checking the flop? That is truly weak...

I think checking this turn would be alright against a tight player (that wouldn't call without some piece of the flop) with our outs and then calling a river bet ui, since he might be bluffing because of our check / betting a weaker queen.

Nick Royale 11-02-2005 10:43 AM

I'd hate to get check/raised here, but I bet this turn not expecting to get check/raised very often even when he has us beat. Since I'm planing to invest at least 1 more BB in this pot I think it's better to do that on the turn. The only hands check/raising here is a flush or AQ assuming villain is tight. Sometimes a lone A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] will check/raise too. The read is vague and if villain isn't this tight the bet is correct for other reasons.

The preflop call often suggest villain isn't einstein and I think we should take the opportunity to collect calls from a weaker fd. I take a free sd UI.

Solid_p 11-02-2005 10:51 AM

I agree that it's a bet most of the time. But would you check if you had a good read of him as tight? Or taggish?

Pharity 11-02-2005 10:54 AM

Ok, what if he is BB instead, and he is a solid TAG. Same thing?

Pharity 11-02-2005 10:57 AM

But is really a gut shot that likely? It seems to me that free cards isn't that big of a threat.

Solid_p 11-02-2005 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But is really a gut shot that likely? It seems to me that free cards isn't that big of a threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a small pot, they aren't much of a threat. So giving a free cards is not that bad here. But if the player isn't so tight, you might be missing a value bet.

molawn2mo 11-02-2005 11:05 AM

2nd pair w/ TK + 2nd nutflush draw = value bet especially since we can easily stomach a raise (drawing dead to only A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q)