Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Straightforward? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=30633)

marbles 03-12-2003 02:29 PM

Straightforward?

I assume this hand was pretty straightforward, but it applies to the turn checkraise talk (check with outs, bet without outs) from last week. Does this look right?

Openraise from MP with KdJd. Folded to the BB who calls.

Flop is AAT rainbow (one diamond). BB checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn is 3d. He checks, I check.

River is 7d. He checks, I bet, he hesitates and calls.

Homer 03-12-2003 02:36 PM

Yes

That's how I would have played it. Your opponent likely called on the flop with an ace, a ten, or a pocket pair. You are behind and a bet is unlikely to cause your opponent to fold. In fact, you may be checkraised, in which case you will have to call since you have 12 outs to a flush or straight.

Were you planning to fold if your opponent bet the river, assuming you didn't catch an out?

I'll guess that your opponent had 88 or something like that.

-- Homer

marbles 03-12-2003 02:40 PM

Re: Yes

"Were you planning to fold if your opponent bet the river (I assume so)?"

Of course not, given that I made my backdoor flush. If the river bricked and my opponent bet, I'd probably fold, but it would hurt.

bad beetz 03-12-2003 02:44 PM

Re: Straightforward?

I would be more inclined to bet my weaker draws on the turn and check my very strong draws. The reason you check the turn with outs is if you have to call a raise. Even adjusting for the pair on the board you have the odds to call a raise here, so I'd check.

Besides, it looks like he has a ten and isn't laying it down so you have to hit anyway. Plus you have the added bonus of looking weak on the turn and getting a river call.

well played

Homer 03-12-2003 02:45 PM

Sorry, I meant to ask what you would do if you didn't catch an out and your opponent bet into you on the river...

-- Homer

RockLobster 03-12-2003 02:55 PM

Re: Straightforward?

Hi Marbles--

I missed this thread last week, any chance of posting the link?

marbles 03-12-2003 03:08 PM

"Sorry, I meant to ask what you would do if you didn't catch an out and your opponent bet into you on the river..."

--Yeah, that's a pretty clear fold unless the guy is regular bluffer (which this guy was not).

marbles 03-12-2003 03:13 PM

results FYI

BB flipped over KJo to lose to my flush (Final board: AAT73 with 3 diamonds).

bad beetz 03-12-2003 03:24 PM

Re: results FYI

his call is terrible, there is NOTHING you could openraise with in MP that loses to KJ as the second nut-no pair. bad call on his part

Homer 03-12-2003 03:26 PM

Re: results FYI

Not to say I think his call was good, but what about 99, 88, QJ, KJ?

-- Homer