Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Computer for College (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279194)

jack spade23 06-23-2005 07:33 PM

Computer for College

I will be attending college this fall. I am trying to decide between computers: either the powerbook g4 or the imac g5. They both have their pros and cons, so i would like any suggestions that would make this easier. The campus is wirless, and the many students i have asked have been about 60/40 in favor of laptops. Also, I am definetly getting a mac, so is there a way i can download partypoker instead of having to play pokerroom? Or does it really matter? Thanks in advance.

-jack

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 07:35 PM

Re: Computer for College

Don't get a [censored] Mac.

2+2 wannabe 06-23-2005 07:36 PM

virtual pc lets you play pc games on your mac

powerbook >>>>>>> ibook

jack spade23 06-23-2005 07:45 PM

If i get a laptop, it will be a powerbook. But the imacg5 has the computer in the moniter, so it saves space. Wth a wirless mouse and keyboard, thats a lot less crap on my desk.

Patrick- i am getting a mac because i dont want hundreds of viruses all the time that i would have on a pc, forcing me to by virus protection.

plus, what about dragging a laptop with me wherever i go? sure i can play poker during class, but do i want to lug it with me whenever im not in my room or have it locked up?

BusterStacks 06-23-2005 07:47 PM

virus protections is free.

Patrick del Poker Grande 06-23-2005 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Patrick- i am getting a mac because i dont want hundreds of viruses all the time that i would have on a pc, forcing me to by virus protection.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to buy a Mac just for this reason, then that's just silly. It's not exactly rocket science keeping a PC virus-free. Besides that, it's not as if virus software is expensive in comparison to the computer. It's a wash. This is like saying you wouldn't buy a house with a garage because that's just one more door you have to buy a lock for.

Also, as was mentioned before, you can often get virus protection for free, especially when you're at a university.

stabn 06-23-2005 07:53 PM

The topic says computer but the post is all about macs???????

jack spade23 06-23-2005 07:55 PM

huh. i didnt know it was free, i just assumed i would have to pay for it like everything else. Good point. So lets say im not ruling pcs out now. My price range is under 2000 so which should i do? laptop or desktop?

Reef 06-23-2005 07:55 PM

the only kind of mac worth anything is a big mac

jack spade23 06-23-2005 07:59 PM

I get off topic easily. I thought i should mention i was leaning towards a mac because i thought pcs constantly had problems (the dells we had in high school did.) but now its all about the laptop or desktop.