Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   OT: I need to win $0.43 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349561)

Winwood 10-03-2005 02:37 PM

OT: I need to win $0.43

Hi. This isn't exactly off-topic, but its not about how to play SNGs either. At least not how to play them properly...

So, a week or so ago I got drunk and blew almost my entire bankroll on poker games I'm not nearly good enough to play in. It would be nice not to be berrated for that, since I can't be the only one to have done that here can I? Can I? Anyway its not about that, and I sure deserve some berrating so go ahead.

So I'm left with $11.57. I almost certainly have to buy back in, but I wonder if I can get back to where I was from where I am. My plan is to play a Party $5+1 since, if you have to play ONE game that you absolutely CANNOT lose thats the game right?. And so to my point - how should I alter from the standard SNG strategy in order to absolutely guarantee I cash?

And for those who are thinking 'standard SNG strategy IS the best way to cash' please consider this - standard strategy is how we play to get the best possible ROI or $/hr. I'm not interested in that - I wanna cash. So if folding into 3rd place were possible that would absolutely be the best strategy - unfortunately thats not possible, even at a $5+1.

So simply put, whats the best strategy to maximise my ITM and how does that differ from normal?

This may be a very uninteresting question, hence 'Off Topic' but I thought some might find it an interesting exercise.

I'll start off - I would think that much tighter passive play with 5 or 4 people left would be a better way to get ITM.

Btw, in case you haven't worked it out, why 0.43? Cos then I'd have $12 which is 2 buy-ins and my journey to recovery has begun!

raptor517 10-03-2005 02:38 PM

Re: OT: I need to win $0.43

dont be a donk. just play one 11. holla

Hornacek 10-03-2005 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
or rebuy.

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 02:43 PM

play a 50max ring game, push with the first good hand. pray. or take raptors advice, wtf do i know.

raptor517 10-03-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
or rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

no need, just win the 11. instant bankroll. holla

10-03-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, but he may be right. It's pretty hard (at least for me) to guarantee a 3rd place finish in the 11s.

Assuming the 6s are looser than the 11s (I've never played them), just fold a lot. Push AA, KK, maybe QQ, and fold all else until ITM. ITM, play good poker against donks (push when your hand's good against maniac calling ranges).

Winwood 10-03-2005 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think cashing in an $11 is as easy as in a $6? I've played quite a few of both and I don't. There's not much difference but there's some for sure.

Or is it just cos the prize is bigger? Weighing up the increased difficulty (20%?) for the increased prize (50%) would suggest so. But this is a situation where I'm very very risk averse.

You still say just play an $11?

Karak567 10-03-2005 02:53 PM

11s are full of the same retards that 6s are and there is only a 10 % rake.

Play an 11, they aren't any harder than a 6.

jeffraider 10-03-2005 02:53 PM

I'd play one $11 because I'd definitely win.

FlyWf 10-03-2005 02:54 PM

No way. What I would do is buy in for $5 at 2 25NL tables. Fold everything, openpush premium hands. Significantly better chance of making the 0.43, but also a decent chance of getting up to around $17-$22, which is where the earning can commence.

My poker bankroll was once entirely invested in a $5.50 SNG and I've turned that into maybe $20K of profits since that point. So on second thought, yeah, just play and win an $11. +soulEV