Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   "Happy Holidays" v. "Merry Christmas" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401424)

12-19-2005 03:14 PM

\"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

Has anyone else noticed the inordinate amount of (sometimes subtle) argument against using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? This year I've noticed it a lot more than in the past. And, have even noticed people saying "Happy Holidays" moreso than before. Very intriguing, I think.

Personally, I don't mind "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Joyous Quanza" (or whatever), or any other holiday greeting that people want to use. As long as it's not a Government entity endorsing one of those, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thoughts? Have you noticed this (perhaps subtle) argument going on about the holiday greeting?

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 03:21 PM

Re: \"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

"Happy Holidays" is a simple phrase that applies to everyone, doesn't (well, shouldn't) offend anyone, and doesn't alienate the rich jews with all the money who want to go shopping.

Seems +EV to me, and Bill O'Reilly can suck it.

RJT 12-19-2005 03:24 PM

Kip,

Happy Holidays is in vogue this year. What I find intriguing, though, is the “word” moreso. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RJT

bocablkr 12-19-2005 03:26 PM

If someone wishes me 'Merry Christmas' I tell them I don't celebrate Christmas. If someone wishes me 'Happy Holidays' I say thank you.

12-19-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happy Holidays is in vogue this year. What I find intriguing, though, is the “word” moreso. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What "word"? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

RJT 12-19-2005 03:47 PM

"Moreso". That is why I put quotes on "word". When did moreso become a word? It is quite in vogue on 2+2.

RJT

MaxPowerPoker 12-19-2005 04:00 PM

Six more shopping days left until "holiday".

Peter666 12-19-2005 04:01 PM

Interesting, because if somebody tells me "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" I say: "Praise be the Lord Jesus Christ and [censored] all the other religions."

It tends to cause awkward silences at office Christmas parties.

12-19-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Moreso". That is why I put quotes on "word". When did moreso become a word? It is quite in vogue on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! I see. I could lie and say I forgot the space... but I think I've seen it that way somuch, that it started looking right to me. Asitwere, thanks for pointing out my mistake, nottomention letting everyone else know aswell.

atrifix 12-19-2005 04:06 PM

I've heard that the OED has recently started including "moreso". Unfortunately, I don't have a copy to verify that.