Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Your top 5 albums of 2005 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295119)

jgorham 07-18-2005 07:59 AM

Your top 5 albums of 2005

Taking a long flight soon, and need some new cd's. Thought this might be a good way. My list is:

1: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Put up a thread about this group a month ago, and have been liking them more and more ever since. If you haven't already, I recommend going to their site (same name no spaces) and downloading the three sample songs on there. Then order the cd, it is even better.

2: Fiery Furnaces - EP

Not as amazing as Blueberry Boat IMO, but a lot easier to just put on and listen to. The feel is a bit different as well. I really think The Fiery Furnaces are one of the best bands out there, and anyone who hasn't listened to them should. This is a good cd to start with in any case. Besides that, they show a different take of their music when they perform live, so tell ticketmaster to inform you when they play in your area.

3: Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

CMI sent me this cd less than a week ago, and I already love it. In two weeks time it may move up the list (or perhaps down), but I pretty much can't stop listening to it. Kinda a time investment, but well worth it, with some of the best songs at the end.

4: The Boy Least Likely To - The Best Party Ever

This cd is kinda inconsistent, but well worth owning. Three songs on the cd are each amazing enough to make me really want this band to release a full length album. Order it from insound (or download I suppose), I don't think you will be disappointed.

5. Spoon - Gimme Fiction

Actually my least favorite spoon cd, but that is really just a testament to how good of a band spoon is. Also - they put on a fantastic show, and I recommend seeing them even if you have to drive five and a half hours to do so. Or fly. Unless you are scared of that. In which case just throw on OK Computer and cry yourself to sleep.

Honorable mentions:
Malkmus - Face the Truth
Sleater Kinney - The Woods
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Patrick del Poker Grande 07-18-2005 11:06 AM

Re: Your top 5 albums of 2005

Yes! I'm excited for the potential this thread has.

Stellastarr 07-18-2005 01:05 PM

Im also really, really loving CYHSY.

wayabvpar 07-18-2005 01:07 PM

American Idiot- Green Day. May be their best album ever (although Dookie was a masterpiece).

Jack of Arcades 07-18-2005 01:17 PM

All of your mentions are good. Here's my top 5...

1. Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust
2. Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
3. M.I.A. - Arular
4. CYHSY - s/t
5. Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

Maulik 07-18-2005 01:25 PM

I usually buy older music so I beleive I've only purchased 2 cds from '05

Coldplay X&Y
Green Day - American Idiot

coincedentally great albums

Jack of Arcades 07-18-2005 01:29 PM

Seriously, though, that'll change everyday. American Idiot and X and Y were mentioned right above, both excellent choices. So's Bloc Party (which is slowly growing on me), Spoon, hell, I could literally list 30 albums (at least) that are all awesome.

xLukex 07-18-2005 01:30 PM

My list will be different!

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

One Be Lo- Sonogram
THINK I CARE- MONGREL (Could be 2004, not sure)
Common- Be
Bane- The Note

I will think of a 5th later.

bwana devil 07-18-2005 02:01 PM

the white stripes - get behind me satan

...and you will know us by the trail of dead - worlds apart (definitely not their best album but a great band nonetheless)

nirvana - with the lights out (i cheated. this came out out towards at the very end of 2004 but it was so close to '05 i decided to count it.)

xorbie 07-18-2005 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes! I'm excited for the potential this thread has.

[/ QUOTE ]