Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Web page help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288887)

ttleistdci 07-08-2005 12:52 PM

Web page help

I'm working on a web page for some friends of mine. They registered a domain a couple weeks ago through domainlinks.com. I tried to upload a few things last night using a seperate ftp program, but it would not let me connect even though I gave the proper user name and password.
The DomainLinks account is saying they currently do not have a host. From reading a few things on there, I was under the impression that they would only need a host if they were doing more in depth things besides just a web page.

Can anyone give me a few tips on uploading? I've designed a few pages in the past, but I have little experience uploading to individual domains. If anyone can help me out with some advice here or PM me that'd be awesome. Thanks.

d10 07-08-2005 01:01 PM

Re: Web page help

This may be equivalent to the "Do you have your computer plugged in?" tech support question, but is your domain name linked to anything? As in do you have a server somewhere, or space on someone else's server, or do you just have a registered name? When you say can't connect with the proper username and password are you getting far enough to where your computer actually sends out your username and password or are you not even able to connect with your server? If you can't connect, try using the IP address of your server. If you don't have an IP address, refer back to the first question.

asofel 07-08-2005 01:16 PM

I was actually wondering the same thing. Almost sounds like they registered "xyz.com" and then try to connect to it without a server being linked to it.

ttleistdci 07-08-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may be equivalent to the "Do you have your computer plugged in?" tech support question, but is your domain name linked to anything? As in do you have a server somewhere, or space on someone else's server, or do you just have a registered name? When you say can't connect with the proper username and password are you getting far enough to where your computer actually sends out your username and password or are you not even able to connect with your server? If you can't connect, try using the IP address of your server. If you don't have an IP address, refer back to the first question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think they just have the domain name registered. No server and they're not using another server as far as I know.

They just mailed me the registration confirmation with the user name and password...that's all I got.

The design part I can do, but I'm a little fuzzy on the rest.

somethingstupid 07-09-2005 03:21 AM

HYPER TEXT TRANSFER PROTOCOLL RAISE PREFLOP !!!!

Monkeyslacks 07-09-2005 04:09 AM

Stick it in her pooper!

-Skeme- 07-09-2005 04:10 AM

Do you have actually space on the hosts server? You can't just buy the domain, you need a host as well.