Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Relative overstaying their welcoime (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398942)

12-15-2005 11:38 AM

Relative overstaying their welcoime

So here's the deal. I have a relative who's very sick in the hospital. I happen to live about 5 miles away from said hospital because I just bought a house there with my girlfriend. When this relative got sick, my mom came down and stayed with us for 2 days which was fine of course. The problem is that 2 days has now turned into 10 and she's showing no signs of leaving. The sick relative is stable and in an induced coma for the next month. So basically, there will be no changes, and no communication from them. Add on to that the fact that my mother lives less than an hour away but says she wants to be closer to the hospital which is why she's staying here. This relative's husband also lives about 20 minutes away. I am on edge constantly because I have to watch myself because she's so easily offended, I can't smoke, and it's generally not much fun having your mother around when you just moved into a new house and are trying to get [censored] done.

So am I just an [censored] for wanting her out of here, and if I'm not, what do I say to her?

PS: Gimmick account because I don't want people here to know I'm dealing with all this.

jackdaniels 12-15-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Relative overstaying their welcoime

Tough situation bro.

The best I can offer is for you to be honest with your mom and tell her that if she wants to stay at your place, it will have to be under your rules (i.e. you can smoke, drink, play p*ker, whatever). It is unreasonable for her to expect you to accomodate her for an extended period of time without making any sacrifices herself.

One thing though, make sure you are clear that this is coming from you and not your girlfriend, as this can easily turn her against the girlfriend and make you r life miserable even after she leaves.

Ofcourse, if you are simply looking for agentle way to ask her to leave, you may need to get help from a sibling or other relative who can intercede and tell her that it is distressing to you to have her there for such a long time. Hopefully, she will get the hint that this came from you and leave.

GL.

12-15-2005 11:55 AM

Dude your mom wants to stay with you for a month and you're bitching about it? This woman gave you life, show some respect. I wish my mother could come and stay with me for a month. Not saying that you shouldn't go on living the way you normally do, and it should be made clear that you will. I think it's sad that you want her to leave though.

xadrez 12-15-2005 11:59 AM

pls post pics of mom

jackdaniels 12-15-2005 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pls post pics of mom

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahah! Out loud no less!

dcasper70 12-15-2005 12:01 PM

Ask her how long she plans on staying. If it's more than another week, get her a room at a local hotel. Otherwise, suck it up. Small price to pay for mom.

12-15-2005 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pls post pics of mom

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

12-15-2005 12:15 PM

If its such an inconvenience, smother her with a pillow while she sleeps.

swede123 12-15-2005 12:31 PM

Your mom isn't just "relatives". If she wants to stay close to her relative for a month, so be it. Just clarify with your mom that your commitment only includes her staying there. Go about your own business, dont worry about entertaining her etc.

Swede

JonPKibble 12-15-2005 12:34 PM

Henry,

When the tables are turned, you will probably reconsider.