Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   breaking the 1BB/100 barrier (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387917)

Cincy Peach 11-29-2005 09:30 PM

breaking the 1BB/100 barrier

Context: low-limit (1/2) online limit

I am struggling to get my winrate above 1BB/100 hands, trying to figure out what I am doing wrong that keeps me from making several BB/100 hands like I hear others claiming.

My first question is, when people say they are making 5BB/100, is that AFTER the rake? looking at my performance, I am making a lot more money for the website than for myself, and if were to count the rake as part of my winnings (which it would be in a homegame) then I would be right there at about 5BB/100.

My second question is, how tight is too tight? I have tried to rachet down to 20% total hands played, but I cant get away from the feeling that when I fold 66 or JQs in early position that I am leaving money on the table. Can I be profitable playing as much as 25% or is this a hole?

On that same note, I find myself playing about a third of the small blinds, about two-thirds of the large, which means that at a full table I would have to limit myself to about ten percent of the non-blind hands in order to have my total at 20%.

Third and last, my poker office program provides a daunting amount of data. Besides hands played, what other stats are most telling? I have no idea what my flop/trn%, etc, etc should be.

any advice would be appreciated.

dogmeat 11-29-2005 10:08 PM

Re: breaking the 1BB/100 barrier

I don't know anybody that is beating the $1/$2 for 5BB/100 over an extended time - anybody want to claim that?

Focus on increasing your win rate, and don't worry about the high end......

My poker stats from $1/$2 at Party show that I voluntarily put money in the pot 17.8 % of the time. This included finishing my small 18% of the time, and seeing the flop from the big blind 85% of the time.

FWIW, JQ suited and 66 under the gun will probably be long-term losers for you.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Sykes 11-29-2005 10:25 PM

.50/$1 (full ring and 6 max). I'm breaking at over 5 but it is over only 10k hands so... sss.

11-30-2005 01:15 AM

I ran 4BB/100 at 2/4 for about 40k hands, but for the most part people are shooting for 2BB/100, maybe 3BB/100 for the real stars among us.

I suspect my 2/4 results were an extended hot streak. I've averaged 2BB/100 at almost every game, every level over the last year. Now, I suspect that could go up by .5-1 BB/100 if I really closed down on my leaks, but at this point its hard to know what the leaks are.

Stats can show you're not aggressive enough, fail to stea/defend blinds, but at some point you reach a spot where stats just don't help anymore. You're game is fundamentally sound and your leaks are in a hand here or there that you misplayed, such a small number of hands relative to the whole that you can't pinpoint any stat that would highlight the problem.

The best you can do is post/read in those cases and try to figure out why certain indvidual hands bothered you.

CourtJester 11-30-2005 12:11 PM

read strategy posts, post hands, read books, just try to improve your game overall, dont worry about winrate, it will come, dont worry about a specific #, youll know when ur playing well...

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-30-2005 01:58 PM

Read SSHE and focus more on your post-flop play, particularly being aggressive to protect your hand on the flop and betting and/or calling for value on the river.

If you're in the black, you're already on the right track. Rome wasn't built in a day.

11-30-2005 02:11 PM

on absolute poker, if you raise from UTG 9 times out of 10 everyone folds
i avg 2-3/100 at 1/2
but if i there is someone that doesnt not defend there blind or will fold to a CR, sitting in front of me, that can easily double for a session

i read a post on here the other day about daniel nergraeun (sp?), and him having a party day where he just acts like a maniac, raising every hand pre flop, raising the flop river and turn. i guess he said he does it to get it out of his system from playing tight.

i done this yesterday, and decided, and made it a point to make the blinds have to pay double to play there hand everytime i was on the button, plus i read this can boost you bb/100, and its an important part of a higher limit game
and i ended up plus 65$

my advice, set aside 40-60 dollars for for your 1/2 game, pratice raising blinds, and ck raising the turn with nothing, and the rest of the all that stuff, its easy to get sucked out on in 1/2 so i attempt to be very aggresive, and it has been paying well

in the last 3200 hands im up 360$, thats counting my losses at NL, Omaha, and trying 2/4 for 100 hands to see where i stand

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-30-2005 02:28 PM

FWIW, JQ suited and 66 under the gun will probably be long-term losers for you.

Meh. Probably not bad advice for a new player, but in a loose-passive game they can be profitable if you play well postflop. 66 is definitely easier to play. Basically flop a set or fold. QJs can be more problematic when you don't flop a big hand or big draw. Too many domination issues. I'd say until really comfortable with postflop play avoiding QJs might be a good idea, but 66 should stay in.

Arnfinn Madsen 11-30-2005 02:43 PM

As you point out, the rake for you is appx. 4BB/100. It means that your "pre-rake" winrate is 5BB/100. You only need to improve to a "pre-rake" winrate of 6BB/100 to become a 2BB/100. Play, review hands, discuss hands etc.. At one point, in a day or in 6 months, it will come to you.

brick 11-30-2005 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only

[/ QUOTE ]

ha.