Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A Blocking Bet (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397223)

GrunchCan 12-12-2005 11:30 PM

A Blocking Bet

I think this is right, but thought I'd check..

UB .25/.50 HE, 10-Handed

I'm on the BB, and I'm dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EP poster checks, MP poster checks, LMP limps, SB completes, I check.

5 to the flop for $2.50. Flop comes 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checks around.

5 to the turn for $2.50 still. Turn comes [4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet 2.5, LMP limper calls, others fold.

HU to river for $7.5. River comes [4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet 7.5, LMP minraises to 15, I fold.

I could be convinced that I misplayed every street.

orange 12-12-2005 11:33 PM

Re: A Blocking Bet

Are you convinced that your Ace kicker is not good? Because I usually call this. I would think this to be more of a value bet instead of a blocker.

stu-unger 12-12-2005 11:49 PM

if the idea that your hand may be no good came to mind, i would much rather c/c this river. in the most likely scenario u will be seeing a showdown for less than u bet on the river. im not quite sure you're behind here, but if thats your read then its fine.

ps- if u want to block, donk bet full pot. a blocker should be no more than 3/4 pot imo...

GrunchCan 12-13-2005 12:36 AM

I normally don't block a whole PSB. I guage the sizes of my blocking bets to my opponent -- whatever the smallest bet I can put out that he won't raise unless he has a stronger hand, that's the size I use. On this particular hand against this particular opponent, that meant $7.50. Normally though, half pot or 2/3 pot does the trick.

Looking at this hand on the screen, I sure don't feel like I was behind at any point. But during the hand I had a very strong 'spidey sense' that the opponent had the flush. This was a player read.

aces_dad 12-13-2005 12:40 AM

If I'm willing to put in a PSB on the river with the goal of going to showdown, I'd prefer to c/c and see if villian will price me into a showdown for that amount.

Isura 12-13-2005 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But during the hand I had a very strong 'spidey sense' that the opponent had the flush. This was a player read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you bet the river then? On this board, there is very little other than the flush that he can call you with. I would check/call. He probably underbets the pot and lets you off cheap.

soah 12-13-2005 12:44 AM

The purpose of a blocking bet is so that you don't have to put a lot of money in. This bet clearly makes no sense. Just check/call. If he has enough of a worse hand to call on the end with, he'll probably bet with it given this action.

BigBiceps 12-13-2005 12:47 AM

since the river was a club, I would have check-called the river.

GrunchCan 12-13-2005 02:05 AM

Well, I'm glad I posted then!

zaphod 12-13-2005 05:12 AM

I think you played this hand fine until the river. On the river i would just check-call, as most of the other posters. When you check you get him to bet many hands that you beat.