Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Ontario's Drinking Age (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406000)

nebben 12-27-2005 04:56 PM

Ontario\'s Drinking Age

Hi, I'm 18 (19 in February) and I have pretty much been looking forward to drinking and gambling in Canada (sad, i know) since I high school. Lately, I have been hearing that the new drinking age is being changed to 21 for US people (but that somehow older kids 19+ now (but not 21) are being grandfathered in based on a specific date. Sounds crazy to me, but I was wondering if any canadians or anyone in the know could shed some light on whether this is true (and when the gradnfather date is). Google returned nothing for me, but perhaps I am not looking in the right place. The LLCBO website says the age is 19, but i figure this wouldnt take into account impending changes.

DavidC 12-27-2005 04:59 PM

Re: Ontario\'s Drinking Age

It's 19 for everyone. Come, drink, gamble, and be merry! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

HopeydaFish 12-27-2005 04:59 PM

I live in Ontario and I haven't heard anything about this. It would have been in the news, so I'm 99.9% sure it's not true. It makes no sense to have one set of laws for Ontarians and another for Americans. I'm sure a good percentage of the bar revenues along the border are from Americans driving over to take advantage of the lower drinking age. There's very little benefit to Ontario in turning away all that business.

DavidC 12-27-2005 05:00 PM

Also, if you want to go to Québec, I think the drinkning age there is 18. No need to wait. Come enjoy our famous Montreal strippers and smoked meat.

HopeydaFish 12-27-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you want to go to Québec, I think the drinkning age there is 18. No need to wait. Come enjoy our famous Montreal strippers (that I haven't yet seen).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's 18 in Quebec. I live in Ottawa so I spent many a weekend crossing over to Hull when I was 18.

DavidC 12-27-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you want to go to Québec, I think the drinkning age there is 18. No need to wait. Come enjoy our famous Montreal strippers (that I haven't yet seen).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's 18 in Quebec. I live in Ottawa so I spent many a weekend crossing over to Hull when I was 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bars were never really my thing. Funny, though: I was a bit of a drinker between ages 14 and 18.5, then I embarassed myself in front of my ex and didn't really get hammered again for another few years.

nebben 12-27-2005 05:15 PM

I have been to Quebec, my family goes skiing there for Easter at Tremblant. Wonderful place, I love Canaada.