Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   A fortune cookie (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398858)

peritonlogon 12-15-2005 06:09 AM

A fortune cookie

Just had a fortune cookie that read
"venture not all in one boat"

any ideas what this might mean?

12-15-2005 06:12 AM

Re: A fortune cookie

I'm pretty sure it's the same as "don't put all your eggs in one basket." ie, diversify.

peritonlogon 12-15-2005 06:17 AM

yeah.... that's a definite possibility, but meets with this problem.... I am not multiple, like eggs, and can't venture in different boats (at least not at the same time)

ZeeJustin 12-15-2005 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah.... that's a definite possibility, but meets with this problem.... I am not multiple, like eggs, and can't venture in different boats (at least not at the same time)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking about this one too hard. Dano is right.

chezlaw 12-15-2005 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

beware going all-in unless its the nut boat.

chez

CORed 12-15-2005 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It means the next time you have a full house your opponent will have quads or a bigger boat, so don't go all in.

12-15-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

beware going all-in unless its the nut boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. You nearly made me choke on my drink. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

peritonlogon 12-15-2005 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking about this one too hard. Dano is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its much more expansive than the eggs in a basket.... it implies traveling around and seeing different things, while still remaining at home,ie in a boat (people who do this, namely, boat dwellers who go from port to port, are called 'turtles' and have an interesting culture for someone inclined to google). I think it's kind of facinating... implying that one can venture far and wide and still not find that he or she has gone anywhere new or come close to finding what he or she is looking for because the imediate surroundings (analogous, but not exculsively so, to the self) have not changed. Thus, another paraphrase to this fortune might also be "get yourself out of a rut personal rut(especially if you're nomadic.)"

P.S.
I really liked this fortune because of the many multiple layers of interesting interpretations that were made possible by (my best guess here) a bad translation.

12-16-2005 04:59 AM

It could mean that you don't have to do the same thing as your friends. So if your friend goes off to work the salt mines, your whole group of friends shouldn't get in the same boat with him.

12-16-2005 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thus, another paraphrase to this fortune might also be "get yourself out of a rut personal rut

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch. Venture could be interpreted as transitive or intransitive.... I totally missed the ambiguity.