Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   "No Compete Agreement" - Am I being unreasonable? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=317451)

Warik 08-17-2005 09:21 PM

\"No Compete Agreement\" - Am I being unreasonable?

I've already made my decision, and nothing will change it, but I'm curious what others think.

I've been working at this company for 6 years. I was the first employee they hired. It was a small mom & pop that thanks to me grew to 30+ employees. Poor financial planning by the owners has put us into real bad shape and half the staff quit and/or were laid off. Three of them have opened up their own small business in competition with us.

Today the owner comes and hands everyone No Compete Agreements and says we must all sign them. Basically says that I can't work in the same field for 2 years... even if they terminate me. I don't plan on working in the same field anyway, but I also don't plan on being strongarmed into giving up my rights.

I said no.

I suspect tomorrow I'll get the ultimatum. I'm indispensible, whether he realizes it or not.

What's your play? Am I being an unreasonable ass, or is he being ridiculous considering that he's on the brink of losing all of his employees and going out of business?

andyfox 08-17-2005 09:24 PM

Re: \"No Compete Agreement\" - Am I being unreasonable?

In some states, no compete agreements don't hold up in court, as they effectively prevent somebody from making a living. If you do sign it, you should get something (i.e. $) in return. But I guess, from your post, that $ are in short supply. Certainly show it to your attorney and get his advice.

ThaSaltCracka 08-17-2005 09:24 PM

I say [censored] THEM!!! Censored word is in caps for emphasism.

MelchyBeau 08-17-2005 09:26 PM

CEOs and high execs usually have to sign these. They do however, get some sort of payment in return.

Like Andy said, check the local laws. Some rights you can't sign away.

EDIT: See what he thinks about an NDA.

Melch

pearljam 08-17-2005 09:27 PM

Make the correct play. Sighn the paper and move on.

James Boston 08-17-2005 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In some states, no compete agreements don't hold up in court, as they effectively prevent somebody from making a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alabame is a "right to work state," and non-competes don't generally hold up. However, if you sign one, and a potential employer finds out, they might be reluctant to hire you because your current employer can still sue and the new employer would have to deal with it. I've worked in radio for nearly 7 years, and these are industry standard. What field are you in?

cardcounter0 08-17-2005 09:29 PM

sounds like the "agreement" isn't worth the paper it is written on. go ahead and sign, they can't enforce it.

lucas9000 08-17-2005 09:30 PM

if he just hands it to you while you're employed and says "sign this," there's no consideration for your promise not to compete, so it will not be enforceable. why chance it though? it sounds like you're probably on your way out and might want to compete, so i'd say don't sign it.

RacersEdge 08-17-2005 09:47 PM

Reraise...

TxSteve 08-17-2005 09:48 PM

sounds like you're on a sinking ship anyway.

move on