Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What's a good response when someone asks you what cards you had? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=292676)

revots33 07-14-2005 11:15 AM

What\'s a good response when someone asks you what cards you had?

I don't play live that much, and I'm a quiet reserved person by nature, so I sometimes find it difficult to handle aggressive jerks at the table.

So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history. He kept muttering about it for the rest of the session every time I was involved in a pot with him, like "uh-oh Mr. WPT's in another pot", etc. It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while. I even considered switching tables, but I decided not to because the game was very good.

Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games? If not, is there a good comeback I could use, to get guys like this off my back in the future? In the heat of the moment I just couldn't think of anything to say that would effectively end it and shut the guy up.

Mens Rea 07-14-2005 11:18 AM

Re: What\'s a good response when someone asks you what cards you had?

Just lie.

Ghazban 07-14-2005 11:19 AM

"I don't know; I never looked."

Matt Williams 07-14-2005 11:20 AM

When people like that ask me, I usually say "I had you beat, don't worry about it." Or if he says "Did you have Jack-Queen?", just say "Yea, something like that.".

canis582 07-14-2005 11:29 AM

I love the options so far. You can also call him out for being a dick explain to him that 3/6 is alot of money to you and you arent giving him free info.

Its tough being an introvert, try cocaine, i hear its a helluva drug.

nycplayer 07-14-2005 11:32 AM

I forgot.

ChicagoTroy 07-14-2005 11:32 AM

The guy's an idiot and had no right to know your hand. If anybody sides with them, they're idiots, but at $3-6 they may even be the majority.

It's not unethical to lie in this situation. Or ask him if he'd rather we all just play with our cards face up.

ReptileHouse 07-14-2005 11:32 AM

I usually either make something up or just say, "I don't really remember."

sfer 07-14-2005 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

iPods rule.

evans075 07-14-2005 11:38 AM

Make your-self look like a fish and Quote rounders or something, ie. "Sorry John I don't remember."