Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What's the dumbest bet you've ever made? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403052)

bruin 12-21-2005 08:31 PM

What\'s the dumbest bet you\'ve ever made?

Like the title says, what is the stupidest thing you have ever bet on?

Mine, was betting on my friend's SAT Math score. The over/under was 670 and the bastard got a 690. Yours?

Sponger15SB 12-21-2005 08:33 PM

Re: What\'s the dumbest bet you\'ve ever made?

Me and my friend bet on every heat of a pro surfing contest. Each of us chose 2 of the 4 surfers and then added up their heat scores.

banditbdl 12-21-2005 08:34 PM

I won $5 dollars from my brother the other night betting on the outcome of that night's episode of The OC. That was pretty silly.

mason55 12-21-2005 08:35 PM

Playing spades with asofel as my partner.

Me: "$20 says you'll pick up the next 4 tricks"
asofel: "Dude, I can see my cards, there's no way I can do that"
Me: "Sure you can. Take the bet"
asofel: "Uhh... ok"

Loses next trick.

12-21-2005 08:39 PM

When Bill Goldberg was on his undefeated streak, a friend bet me that Diamond Dallas Page would beat him. Free money is good.

12-21-2005 08:43 PM

A buddy of mine and his GF had been on and off for about 3 months now. They would break up and get back together regularly. This led to me putting and over/under on how long they would stay together this time around. It really got of hand and I had to buy a blackboard to keep track of the bets. On about the 5th time of this the under was coming in to much so I made the over/under on the 6th and final time a mere 12 hours. Needless to say all the money came in on the over, so I [censored] his GF and told him about 8 hours later so he broke up with her and I made a killing. He then found out about the bet and was pissed up until I bought an eight to smoke with him. She was a whore anyways.

hyde 12-21-2005 08:46 PM

I almost bet skipper bob that I was going to finish
exactly 4th tonight in trout.
I am really good at 4th.
but I wanted odds......
would have been dumb.

I once bet my son(13) $20 Canadian, (we were in Montreal),he couldn't eat a mouthful of blue cheese. We were at some sort of welcoming/happy hour hotel thing.
the resulting vomit made it pretty dumb....

Sponger15SB 12-21-2005 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A buddy of mine and his GF had been on and off for about 3 months now. They would break up and get back together regularly. This led to me putting and over/under on how long they would stay together this time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

pfft, standard. My friend is terrible at betting on himself not hooking up with his exgirlfriend.

Yeti 12-21-2005 08:50 PM

No comment.

FoxwoodsFiend 12-21-2005 08:55 PM

Coin-flipping, whether I can phase my hand through a wall (I said yes getting 10000:1), the WNBA All-STar Game(East), the Pro Bowl(AFC), timeframe for a cure for AIDS(I give 10:1 and get the over on 10 years), the definition of temerity (I got it right). Whichever of these you thing is stupidest is the stupidest bet I've made (that I can think of anyway).

SmileyEH 12-21-2005 09:02 PM

Macdaddy and I were drunk one night. We bet $100 on flipping a quarter (we used to flip a quarter for basically every meal we ate too). I won, but in my excitement I jumped and punched upwards into a hard wooden ceiling. I think my nuckle was either fractured or very badly bruised, hurt like a bitch for 3 months.

-SmileyEH

mason55 12-21-2005 09:05 PM

Are we talking stupidest bet you've ever made or most inane thing you've ever bet on?

12-21-2005 09:08 PM

My brother and I bet every pitch when we are at Sox games. By the middle of the 5th the people sitting around us are either leaving or betting with us.

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-21-2005 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Macdaddy and I were drunk one night. We bet $100 on flipping a quarter (we used to flip a quarter for basically every meal we ate too). I won, but in my excitement I jumped and punched upwards into a hard wooden ceiling. I think my nuckle was either fractured or very badly bruised, hurt like a bitch for 3 months.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucker.

lapoker17 12-21-2005 09:11 PM

that ryan leaf would have a better nfl career than peyton manning (with requisite stats set ahead of time, pts for postseason success etc...). i had no idea he was such a douche.

I also had $100 action points on florida in the 1999 sec championship game. meaningless late touchdowns have never hurt so much.

daryn 12-21-2005 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

there was that rock paper scissors-fest at turning stone for $100 a throw

EMcWilliams 12-21-2005 09:42 PM

5 dollar coin flips are fun, what time is it, will a Copag card burn, who is the dorm tramp going home with tonight, and I can get a higher grade in Biology than a devoted Bio major.

shaniac 12-21-2005 09:45 PM

Pretty sure Uallgointap and Juha Helpi were flipping quarters for 1K a toss on the last night of last year's Bahamas trip.

lapoker17 12-21-2005 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure Uallgointap and Juha Helpi were flipping quarters for 1K a toss on the last night of last year's Bahamas trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are a few dumbasses at commerce that seem to do this nightly.

lastchance 12-21-2005 09:50 PM

Betting on whether or not I got a higher score than my friend on Physics test. I now have to ask a girl to prom.

jokerthief 12-21-2005 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother and I bet every pitch when we are at Sox games. By the middle of the 5th the people sitting around us are either leaving or betting with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds fun not dumb (especially if beer is involved).

TheNoodleMan 12-22-2005 12:04 AM

I bet on a pee-wee football game that took place at halftime of a preseason NFL game. I lost badly because the other team had a stud RB that broke off 2 50 yard TD runs.

I have 2 friends that have a last longer bet on the lives of Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells. It is a push if either one of the participants dies before either of the coaches.

I have an outstanding bet with a friend of mine who drunkenly claimed that he could kick a 49 FG in three tries.

man 12-22-2005 12:10 AM

I bet $50 that carmello anthony would stay at syracuse my freshman year. I was drunk, and I don't really follow basketball.

SmileyEH 12-22-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

there was that rock paper scissors-fest at turning stone for $100 a throw

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], I can't beleive how badly I was owned in those series.

-SmileyEH

LeatherFace 12-22-2005 01:32 AM

Lloyd: I'll bet you twenty dollars I can get you gambling before the day is out!
Harry: No!
Lloyd: I'll give you three to one odds.
Harry: No.
Lloyd: Five to one.
Harry: No.
Lloyd: Ten to one?
Harry: You're on!
Lloyd: I'm gonna get ya!
Harry: Nu uh!
Lloyd: I don't know how but I'm gonna get ya.

Doc7 12-22-2005 01:40 AM

I have a $5 bet on losing my virginity before my friend's currently straight girlfriend goes lesbian.

Skjonne 12-22-2005 10:26 AM

A friend at University and I once bet $20 on when it is my birthday.

I won

surfinillini 12-22-2005 10:27 AM

when I was in 4th grade I bet some dude $50 that the Phoenix suns would beat Jordan's bulls in the NBA finals.

Ra ra retard I was

12-22-2005 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds fun not dumb (especially if beer is involved).

[/ QUOTE ]

Beer is always involved.

peterchi 12-22-2005 10:50 AM

The week after McNabb decides to have surgery, thus putting my Fantasy Football team in shambles - My roommate and I have a matchup the next week

roommate: dude, i'm gonna beat you by 50 points this week
peterchi: hell no, 4:1 says you don't. i'll put up $20 for your $5

i got approximately 0 points from all of my QBs and RBs, and he beat me by about 80 points.

David04 12-22-2005 10:53 AM

A friend of mine was 100% positive that the Super Bowl MVP had to be on the winning team. I even tried to explain to him why I thought this was untrue, but he thinks he is never wrong, so we put up some small amount of money.

We go on the internet, and it's like the 3rd or 4th SB, I believe it was Roger Staubach who was the SB MVP on the losing team.

Not really a dumb bet, but certainly the dumbest thing I've ever bet on.

asofel 12-22-2005 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing spades with asofel as my partner.

Me: "$20 says you'll pick up the next 4 tricks"
asofel: "Dude, I can see my cards, there's no way I can do that"
Me: "Sure you can. Take the bet"
asofel: "Uhh... ok"

Loses next trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha....i was just about to point you to this thread and say "own up punk"....well done....

12-22-2005 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When Bill Goldberg was on his undefeated streak, a friend bet me that Diamond Dallas Page would beat him. Free money is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took an actual tazer to take him down by Razor Ramon (Scott Hall) to finally do it to I believe

drewjustdrew 12-22-2005 11:40 AM

I bet that Barry Sanders would break the all-time rushing record. 10 cents for every yard short vs 5 cents for every yard over. He retired a month later and I lost $150. I hate that guy! Quitter!

Wes ManTooth 12-22-2005 11:46 AM

any bet with Tyler Durden... oh wait, those are the dumbest bets for him.

miajag81 12-22-2005 11:50 AM

I bet one of my friends a dollar (like 1/10 of my net worth at the time) that the Broncos would beat the Redskins in the Super Bowl (they ended up losing like 49-10 or something). I was a degenerate gambler even in elementary school!

Granite 12-22-2005 11:51 AM

I was drinking with a few friends around a hotel pool late at night.

One friend said that as a kid he used to be able to swim underwater for aaaaages and boasted he could do 4 underwater laps of the pool. Pool was 20m's not too sure how far that is in feet, but 80m is a long way.

So we all had about $100 riding on the bet and watched him try and he managed nearly three laps which was pretty impressive. We all had a good laugh at the guys expense and went back to swimming and drinking.

None of us are paying any attention but the guy gives it a second try. We are all having a good time until one of the guy spots him face down floating in the water. I dragged him out and checked for breathing and there was the slightest wisp of a breath. I was thinking $%$%! I'm gonna have to give him mouth to mouth. Just then he gasps, splutters and jumps to his feet, off the planet wanting to fight us. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

We all laughed, but it was a releived laugh. we all thought we had killed him for a stupid bet.

On a side note, I'm up to three people now that I have tried to fish out of the water. Only one has survived unfortunately, I don't think I would make the cut for Baywatch.

Granite

miajag81 12-22-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that really qualify as a "dumb bet?" I mean, yeah, it's pointless gambling but no one's really taking the worst of it or anything.

12-22-2005 11:59 AM

Two that I can think of.

One was a "fantasy golf" bet with three other guys. We picked four golfers in the 2002 US Open, and we combined total scores (golfers that didn't make the cut received 80's for the last two days.) Winner was lowest total score. Our golf addict friend picked four guys who finished in the top eight, winning easily. Two of my guys didn't make the cut.

Another bet: I bet $20 that the line in Rounders was "They even closed down his regular club, the Four Shea's. The place hadn't been open since 1908." Don't ask why.

ScottieK

12-22-2005 12:10 PM

damn dude, you've got 2 *'s.

mmmmmmmmm i'm gonnnnnnna telllllllllllllll