Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   nyc poker rooms (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=332218)

09-08-2005 05:00 AM

nyc poker rooms

i am a poker dealer in nyc, recently arrested for the 1st time. its time to stop this . players, dealers and owners need to all step up and fight. none of us feel we are doing anything wrong, and i'll be damned if i have to spend one more night in jail for holding a deck of cards. poker is not a crime, yet the more owners, players and dealers plea out or ignore the situation, the more the police feel they have a right to raid any place they want.
members of the nyc poker community are starting a website soon for the legalization of cardrooms

(advertising removed by JBB)

JonPKibble 09-08-2005 10:38 AM

Re: nyc poker rooms

[ QUOTE ]
i am a poker dealer in nyc, recently arrested for the 1st time. its time to stop this . players, dealers and owners need to all step up and fight. none of us feel we are doing anything wrong, and i'll be damned if i have to spend one more night in jail for holding a deck of cards. poker is not a crime, yet the more owners, players and dealers plea out or ignore the situation, the more the police feel they have a right to raid any place they want.
members of the nyc poker community are starting a website soon for the legalization of cardrooms

(advertising removed by JBB)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in NY State, poker IS a crime. It is in most states. It's good to see the poker community is taking a step to try and legitimize poker, but legalization is a far cry. Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas. But good luck though.

BottlesOf 09-08-2005 10:57 AM

Actually, not really. Poker isn't the crime, it's profiting from it that is.

Legal precedence

Article where DA's office clarifies that playing poker isn't ilegal

SheridanCat 09-08-2005 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas. But good luck though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Regards,

T

The Armchair 09-08-2005 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas. But good luck though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it's that... Constitution thing. Gives you the right to remain silent (that's from freedom of speech) and the right to yell fire in a crowded theater as long as it's an American flag that's on fire.

TakeMeToTheRiver 09-08-2005 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what particular area are you talking about?

Is the subject matter area or georgraphic area?

burningyen 09-08-2005 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, it's that... Constitution thing. Gives you the right to remain silent (that's from freedom of speech) and the right to yell fire in a crowded theater as long as it's an American flag that's on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn you and your legal mumbo-jumbo!

On a more serious note, did the OP include an address for the website? If it's a legit advocacy group and not just a cardroom shill, I don't get why the address would be deleted.

ChrisAJ 09-08-2005 03:27 PM

The only thing really controlled by the feds when it comes to gambling is whether or not taxes are paid on winnings. I don't think there's a federal statute against gambling.

Almost all gambling laws (typically known as "morals" clauses) are state laws. Unless some in Congress get Internet Gambling bills passed...

JonPKibble 09-08-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, not really. Poker isn't the crime, it's profiting from it that is.

Legal precedence

Article where DA's office clarifies that playing poker isn't ilegal

[/ QUOTE ]

Operating a cardroom and charging membership qualifies as profit.

BottlesOf 09-08-2005 04:23 PM

Of course it does. What's your point?