Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   blind-war hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395050)

Trix 12-09-2005 04:25 PM

blind-war hand

Opponent is dblbutcher01 and is generally loose-aggro.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Spicymoose 12-09-2005 04:36 PM

Re: blind-war hand

Looks good to me. I may fold the turn, but if he is really that agressive, there are two different semi-bluffs he could be pulling, so I guess a calldown is fine.

Lmn55d 12-09-2005 04:42 PM

Trix, I think in a pot of this size you are better off checking the turn and calling a river bet if you expect to get checkraised bluffed/semibluffed frequently.

One change I have made in my game lately is to induce bluff/semibluff raises a lot. Here, however, I think checking and inducing a river bet probably has a higher EV. The cost of a free card to him is smaller since the pot is smaller. However, the cost to you of making an incorrect call down is greater since the pot is smaller. See what I'm saying?? There's a good chance your hand is good, but it's not like the calldown is highly +EV. It is probably +EV, but not as much as checking and calling a river bet.

Alobar 12-09-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trix, I think in a pot of this size you are better off checking the turn and calling a river bet if you expect to get checkraised bluffed/semibluffed frequently.

One change I have made in my game lately is to induce bluff/semibluff raises a lot. Here, however, I think checking and inducing a river bet probably has a higher EV. The cost of a free card to him is smaller since the pot is smaller. However, the cost to you of making an incorrect call down is greater since the pot is smaller. See what I'm saying?? There's a good chance your hand is good, but it's not like the calldown is highly +EV. It is probably +EV, but not as much as checking and calling a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this

TStoneMBD 12-09-2005 05:16 PM

i agree that if youre going to call down a checkraise that you shouldnt bet the turn. i also dont like calling down after im checkraised in this spot unless i have a good reason to.

cartman 12-09-2005 05:19 PM

I think Lmn55d is correct. The thing is, even if the calldown is +EV, it is not enough +EV to compensate for the price you paid with the turn bet. In other words once we get checkraised, even if we are getting correct odds in our estimation to call him down, we would wish he hadn't bet the turn. I realize that we get some benefit from our turn bet when he doesn't checkraise, but I don't know if it is enough to offset the detriment when he does.

On a related note, it is important to understand that the "cost" of our turn bet when he doesn't fold is not the full 1 BB, but actually (his equity - our equity)*1BB. In the case where we have 50% equity for instance, the cost of our turn bet is zero. When we have 25% equity, the cost of our turn bet is .5 BB. When we have 75% equity, the cost of our turn bet is -.5 BB (in other words a profit of .5BB). Etc.

Out of curiosity, Lmn55d, about what caliber of hand would you consider strong enough to bet and call down instead of checking behind and calling a river bet. For instance, what would you do with AK, 55, etc?

Thanks,
Cartman

imported_azalin 12-09-2005 08:45 PM

I have many notes on villain. He is aggro but not that much. When he makes a move like this he almost always has some piece of the board. Anyway i almost always check the turn and call the river in those kind of spots.