Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lions fire Mariucci (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386804)

Chairman Wood 11-28-2005 01:41 PM

Lions fire Mariucci

ESPN.com

I still think he's a good coach and I do believe he was the right person to hire when he was hired but this needed to happen. The team is never motivated. He can't get players to play together and also he seems unmotivated himself. But what really needs to happen is that they fire Mat Millen.

kenberman 11-28-2005 01:58 PM

Re: Lions fire Mariucci

I hope the Lions draft a WR in the 1st round next year. that would be funny.

PokerGoblin 11-28-2005 02:16 PM

The Lions are the worst franchise in the modern history on the NFL. They have always been an underacheiving, over-injured group of non-performers who never amount to anything.

Until the Fords release control of the organization they will never be SB caliber team.

[censored] the Lions.

PG

A_C_Slater 11-28-2005 02:24 PM

Now he'll be replaced by some donk that will do an even worse job. Millen actually passed on Parcells in favor of Mariucci. Parcells actually wanted to come to Detroit and ended up settling for the Cowboy's. That alone should be enough reason to fire Millen.

Jack of Arcades 11-28-2005 02:35 PM

Look, I understand Mooch was doing a horrible job in Detroit. I watched the Atlanta debacle, you know? Nobody on that team gave a [censored] except maybe Joey Harrington. Steve Mariucci punted down 27 points in the third quarter. Either he's clueless (probably not) or he didn't give a damn. That's obviously a great reason to fire him, but why should he give a damn? Nobody in the front office gives a damn starting with the Fords and going down to Matt Millen. Tell me how Matt Millen has a job? The coaches get the fall for everything but the front office more times than not are what screws these teams up.

PokerGoblin 11-28-2005 02:37 PM

Millen just signed an extension through 2009 at the beginning of this year or something like that. I doubt he'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

PokerGoblin 11-28-2005 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now he'll be replaced by some donk that will do an even worse job. Millen actually passed on Parcells in favor of Mariucci. Parcells actually wanted to come to Detroit and ended up settling for the Cowboy's. That alone should be enough reason to fire Millen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious as to where/how you learned of this.

PokerGoblin 11-28-2005 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look, I understand Mooch was doing a horrible job in Detroit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's debateable. The performance of the team does fall squarely on him, but the quality of the players he's had in the past three years wasn't really ever a playoff caliber team. Rogers is a bust and he'll be gone at the end of the season. Roy is solid when healthy, but that's like every other game. Mike Williams can catch the ball , but not much else. But so can most other receivers in the league.

No need to spend the 10th pick on a third receiver. The Lions passed on a lot of better choices to draft a 'project' type of player, when they weren't in position to do so. It was in their best interest to get a more impact type of player, or trade down to the lower part of the round and get more picks. I thought at the time Derrick Johnson out of Texas would be a steal at the 10th pick.

Their OL is average AT BEST, they have a quarterback whose ability to perform doesn't equal his enthusiasm, their secondary is always understaffed and overinjured. The only strong points on the whole team is the DL, their linebackers and their special teams. Even Kevin Jones can't run for 100 yards in a game anymore.

If you want to blame the coaches, fine. Fire the coaches and get someone else in there. But who? Who would want this job?

Mike Tice will be seeking employment after this season. Maybe he'll recruit TO and they can have even more receivers.

The Lions are a god damn joke. Bring back Wayne Fontes. At least they'd make the playoffs once in a while.

PG

A_C_Slater 11-28-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious as to where/how you learned of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Detroit Lion's sports talk radio show.

Hornacek 11-28-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Lions are a god damn joke. Bring back Wayne Fontes. At least they'd make the playoffs once in a while.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

Noooo anything but Wayne, please.