Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sports Announcer Pet Peeves (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=175760)

drewjustdrew 01-12-2005 03:00 PM

Sports Announcer Pet Peeves

Seems like this is the forum for this.

I hate when sports broadcasters adopt and overuse new phases and terminology. These are my examples from the last 3 years or so:

1. Walk off home run
2. Shut-down or lock-down corner
3. Gets it (maybe a local chicago thing, but meaning that the player/GM/whomever understands the correct whatever.
4. Hammer - this is a new one indicating a good blocking fullback. I expect this to be in heavy rotation by draft time.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

wayabvpar 01-12-2005 03:01 PM

Re: Sports Announcer Pet Peeves

mano a mano

Every dipshit in the industry uses this in place of man to man. It means HAND TO HAND, YOU DUMB BASTARDS!

Goddamn it annoys me.

kerssens 01-12-2005 03:02 PM

I hate when they don't say the higher score first.

ThaSaltCracka 01-12-2005 03:04 PM

any time sports is referred to as a "war".

lapoker17 01-12-2005 03:04 PM

Dierdorf.

jakethebake 01-12-2005 03:06 PM

Most recently it's been the references to Ryan Sandberg.

Shajen 01-12-2005 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like this is the forum for this.

I hate when sports broadcasters adopt and overuse new phases and terminology. These are my examples from the last 3 years or so:

1. Walk off home run
2. Shut-down or lock-down corner
3. Gets it (maybe a local chicago thing, but meaning that the player/GM/whomever understands the correct whatever.
4. Hammer - this is a new one indicating a good blocking fullback. I expect this to be in heavy rotation by draft time.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

[/ QUOTE ]

My all time favorite is "we have to play one game at a time".

Well no [censored]. What, are you gonna have two teams line up against you? STFU.

Another goodie was mentioned by TSC. War > sports

Finally: we gave 110%. This by definition is imposssible.

Paluka 01-12-2005 03:18 PM

The thing I hate the most about sportscasters is that the worst ones are the ones that work for the major networks. The Cubs and Braves have had much better broadcasters than ESPN, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS for as long as I can remember.
I also really can't stand Joe Morgan.

Patrick del Poker Grande 01-12-2005 03:19 PM

I hate the ones who blatantly love one team and are just shameless in how they favor them on non-local broadcasts (local guys should be for the home team). I hate constant references to Bret Favre's thumb, all the trouble he plays through, and how nothing bad can ever be said about him or the way he pretty much tosses up a minimum of 4 retard pick-me-off throws every game. I'm sick of hearing about the Frozen Tundra. I can't believe that Stuart Scott still occasionally says "cool as the other side of the pillow." I can't stand people refering to any game as war or a battle or to the players as soldiers.

More than anything, I'm hating the attitude that a lot of the tv personalities are starting to get - that they're so badass and that what they did (when they played) was so hard-core. It's getting to be a pissing contest all the time with them all feeling the need to make sure everybody knows how manly they are. This tends to happen most with the football guys (NFL and college) on ESPN. Get off it.

Shajen 01-12-2005 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing I hate the most about sportscasters is that the worst ones are the ones that work for the major networks. The Cubs and Braves have had much better broadcasters than ESPN, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS for as long as I can remember.
I also really can't stand Joe Morgan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one here who cannot stand Tim McCarver?