Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   PLO8 hand - questionable turn push or not? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388438)

J.Copperthite 11-30-2005 03:14 PM

PLO8 hand - questionable turn push or not?

Playing PLO8 0.10/0.25 on Bodog when the following hand came up.

I'm on the button w/ A-2-3-5 double suited. MP raises to 0.75, two call, I call, blinds fold.

$3.35 in the pot. Flop is A-K-4 all hearts (I do not have any hearts).

First raiser bets $1, the two limpers fold, I decide that if he doesn't have a flush I have a great draw and low insurance, so I call the $1.

The turn is a 7. At this point the bettor bets $5.35 (the pot). He has $7 left in front of him after this bet. I decide that he may have a flush, or he might just have low. Again, I am hoping my draw to a straight is live, and I now have the nut low, so I decide to raise him the rest of his stack, which he calls. He has A-Q-3-2 w/ no hearts and is in front w/ Aces with a queen. The river is a 7, and I take 1/4 of $30.

My question is should I have folded to the pot bet? Was I wrong in pushing the turn? Should I have even played the hand altogether? Please share your insights!

11-30-2005 03:54 PM

Re: PLO8 hand - questionable turn push or not?

1) Dont post results in initial post and please post stack sizes at the beginning of hands
2: Pre-flop) How do you not re-pot this PF? This is one the ideal starting hands that ur looking for PF and your on the button, it doesnt get much better than this. I would be raising her everytime when there has be a raise and 2 callers. That means u can raise to $6 and isolate maybe even take down the money right there. If you raise here PF and he calls u then he is going to have a hard time calling a pot-sized bet on the flop with just a low draw. I really dont like just smooth calling this PF, i think that its too passive
3: Flop) On the flop, I dont think the call is terrible, b/c ur getting 4:1 on ur money, however i think ur thinking may be flawed. I wouldnt be betting the person doesnt have the flush, because this is a game of nut-peddling, but be trying for ur low. But if you really doesnt think he has the flush, what would he be betting with here other than the nut-low draw OOP? So lets say u call and dont think he has either. (I personally dont think its really worth investing the $1 to try and win $3 and have to fold if a blank comes on the turn and even if u do hit ur scoop card, not knowning if ur going to take down the whole pot)
3: turn) When the 7 comes u now have the nut low and have invested $1.75. Villian then bets pot again and this is where i think its an easy fold. You now have to invest 3x what u have put in to win 1/2 the pot, but the chances of you winning 1/2 the pot and not being quartered are still not that good. I know u have the nuts and its hard to get away from, in limit i would say call this down, but this is PL and i think this is where u need to get away from it. Pushing is better than calling tho because by calling the turn bet, he is obviously going to go all-in on the river anyways. I would get away from this hand on the flop with the way u played with PF, its just asking for trouble on the turn and river and building a pot of money that is essentially going to be between u and villian and ur looking to either get scooped or quartered. If a low doesnt come on the turn, do u fold to a pot-bet there? You just wasted an extra $1 for no real reason.

11-30-2005 04:56 PM

These kind if quarter pots occur and there's not a lot you can do when two people have the same nut low and one wins high with a random holding. Theses situations are avoidable IMO or at least damage protection is avoidable here by re-potting the flop and tying to check down if called. As played, it's just unfortunate that you got quartered.

Tex

J.Copperthite 11-30-2005 06:45 PM

Thank you very much for your insights. My PLO8 game is developing and there is a world of difference between the many limit O8 hands i've played. In Limit I approach the hand the same exact what you've mentioned. I'm just learning situations where I should push preflop and on the flop, etc.

Just a question - if there was no raise but three limpers in front of me, do I raise w/ A-2-3-5, or follow suit and limp?

11-30-2005 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question - if there was no raise but three limpers in front of me, do I raise w/ A-2-3-5, or follow suit and limp?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise like a mofo.

11-30-2005 09:42 PM

This is definitley a re-raise preflop. You have an ideal hand with good position. Exploit it. On the flop, I really am not a big fan of your hand. You are drawing to only half the pot a good portion of the time. You are getting 4.35-1 odds here, but since you are drawing to 1/2 the pot in all likleyhood, you are only getting odds of around 2-1. Its a thin call, but I make it just because of the chance of your straight draws being live. On the turn, I am giving the hand up. Its similar to the flop, only with less likleyhood of coming away with 1/2 the pot and worse pot odds. Give it up.

12-01-2005 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise like a mofo.

[/ QUOTE ]
In position u gotta love that hand with limpers. Also, u can buy the button from the people which is worth the raise, even with a worse hand than this.