Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Live AQ hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343159)

davidross 09-23-2005 11:05 PM

Live AQ hand

Played my first live tourney in a year today, $1000 buy in, 150 runners, top 30 take their chipsto Sunday where they meet another 30 and start again with blinds at 100/200.

I have 14K, with blinds at 400/800 and around 2 minutes to the next level change. I'm in early position but with knockouts and 1 empty seat I'monly 4 off the button. I raise to 2K with AQ and it's folded to the BB who has just come from another table, and is playing his first hand. He has around 10K, says "raising my first blind?", looks and raises to 4K. What do you do?

Benal 09-23-2005 11:42 PM

Re: Live AQ hand

[ QUOTE ]
says "raising my first blind?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he wants action with this comment. I fold.

Where was this tourney?

LethalRose 09-23-2005 11:55 PM

minraises out of the blinds are often a huge hand.

with his comments. i fold.

adanthar 09-24-2005 12:01 AM

He said that before looking at his cards.

I have no idea what that means, but thought I'd mention it.

davidross 09-24-2005 12:07 AM

Tournament was in Sarnia (Point Edward I think). Part of the CPT, it's been running all week.

Benal 09-24-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He said that before looking at his cards.

I have no idea what that means, but thought I'd mention it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Good point. I didnt notice that. Was it 4K total, or 4K more? 4K more, I fold.. he's basically pushing.

davidross 09-24-2005 12:09 AM

That's what I did too, but I'm wondering if for 2K I shouldn't see a flop. But the only range of hands I can see him having is JJ-AA and AK. In fact he had JJ and I think that's why I'm wondering. Unfortunately i went out 3 hands later in a stupid blind vs blind where I should have folded to the re-raise but thought after laying down the AQ he was taking advantage.

Lloyd 09-24-2005 12:10 AM

That really could mean anything. Good odds with position, I'd call and play carefully. The other issue is folding pretty much ruins your stealing for awhile.

betgo 09-24-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That really could mean anything. Good odds with position, I'd call and play carefully. The other issue is folding pretty much ruins your stealing for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to call, you might as well push. Assuming no ante, there is 8400 in the pot and BB has 6000 left.

There are only 4 hands that dominate AQ. Against an underpair, you are ahead with pot odds.

The miniraise looks dangerous, but the raise comes from the BB, so he could have anything. First of all, he is defending his blind, and secondly he doesn't need to put in much more to miniraise.

AQ is a strong hand to raise with from mid position. I can't see folding to a raise from the BB. I think you need to push and hope villain doesn't have AK, QQ, or better.